break-in period/mileage

I think I have read that the Prius is not fully broken in until 8000 miles. At any rate, now that we are having some warmer weather, I am seeing better mileage than I did last fall--now the norm seems to be in the high 54-55-range (mostly non-highway). I guess I didn't notice this earlier because of the drop in MPG when the weather was cold.

Reply to
Jean B.

That's great mileage Jean. You have mastered the art! Did you sell your other car?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

No. In fact, it is dead in the garage. I have to get it started and to VW for its inspection. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, because my friend who said he'd buy it doesn't have the money to do so. It is painful to drive it at

16 mpg when I can get 55 mpg in the Prius!!!!!

I was thinking of looking at the Camry Hybrid, but suddenly my daughter is biking, so the hatchback is coming in handy. I do wish the Prius had a roof vent though....

Reply to
Jean B.

I have to charge the battery in my explorer after it sits for a couple of months. If you have a small battery charger that's pretty easy. I loosen the vent caps, check the acid level and disconnect the negative terminal cable before connecting my charger. That will probably get your VW going in short order.

Never had a car with a roof vent so I don't know what I'm missing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The owner's manual only lists around 500-600 miles (I don't have mine handy at the moment), to avoid jack-rabbit starts, vary your speed, and avoid excessive (panic) braking.

Some owners have reported as high as 10,000 miles to fully break in their car. Unknown if this is for the car to wear in components (like tires), and learn the driver's habits, or if it is the time for the driver to break-in and learn how to drive more efficiently...

Reply to
mrv

Oh, I remember the first part--since I tend to be quick off the stop line and had to really watch that!!! I guess I don't know why the mileage is better now. I don't THINK I am driving differently. Actually, I feel I am being more aggressive than I was at first--although I continue to watch my mpgs a lot.

Reply to
Jean B.