Cruise control

In Belgium (sorry for my bad english language) the Prius can be bought in 2 versions. The cheapest version doesn't have cruise control (and has a less
sofisticated audio, no fog lights (is this correct english?), and there are also some other minor differences, but I am not interested in those...). For the version with the cruise control (cc is the only option in wich I am really interested...) I have to pay a supplement of about 2000 dollar, so I am wondering : is this worth the price? It must be possible to add a cruise control in a Prius that doesn't have one for much less than 2000 dollar?!

It has been possible to add cruise control to Prius in the past. The mechanism is a resistor network that feeds one pin of the hybrid vehicle ECU . . . unless Toyota has changed the control software to block it out. So far, I've not heard any such reports.
There is a Yahoogroup for European Prius owners and I would recommend posting your question there. Someone may have already done it. I know it was done in the States with an NHW11 model (01-03).
GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

$2000 seems like a hefty price but if I understand you correctly you would be getting more than just cruise control. Could it be because of the VAT also? Just out of curiosity, what are they asking for either versions? My '03 came with the trunk netting and the little safety kit. Definitely an over priced option at over $300. I keep a $10 rectangle plastic container in the trunk at all times and it does a fine job keeping potential stain causing things like bleach separate. Works great for hauling bags of soil or two 20 lb. propane cylinders from rolling around. About the only good thing I can say about the netting is, without the container I mentioned, it does a good job camouflaging the bags of groceries. But as far as the cruise control in your situation, I know aftermarket ones are available but I don't know how much it cost.
mark_

Mark,
Just to be a party-pooper... propane cylinders with attached valves are not allowed by USDOT regs to be carried in the passenger compartment of a vehicle on US public roads (probably the same in other countries). AFAIK the valveless type, such as hand-held torches use, are not restricted. Personally, I think it is a "weenie" regulation and do the same as you: I just restrain the tank when I have to use our station wagon to refill the tank. I do throw a blanket over it so it doesn't stand out while I'm driving.
Mike

I have a '03 Prius. It's not a hatchback. mark_

Cool! You're covered.
Mike
Two versions are called Luna and Sol (what's in a name?). Luna is 26000 euro. Sol = 27500 euro. All prices include VAT. Difference of 1500 euro is about 2000 dollar (?). What does Sol have and Luna not : 1) cruise control 2) front fog lights (I still don't know if this is correct english...) 3) a much better audio system from JBL (9 LS, 6-cd changer,...) 4) Smart entry and smart start. I really can live without 2 - 4, but I love a cruise control. I did NOT find anything about it in the Yahoogroup for European Prius owners, or in other groups....

Hi,
You can try : http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/group/prius-francophone /
Best regards, Philippe Steff (from France)
I will have a look. Thank you. Merci.

"Fog lights" is correct. There are other English labels for them but fog lights is probably the most common, at least where I live. I think cruise control helps me achieve better mileage because I have difficulty maintaining a constant pedal pressure. I wasn't excited about the keyless entry until I picked up my Prius and discovered how convenient it is. Now I wouldn't want a car without it. :-)
You can try either :
http://prius-touring-club.com/vbf/showthread.php?tT8&highlight=smart
Philippe Steff french lurker

Prius

This is how one of the San Diego users did it with their Prius. This was before cruise control parts were available from Ebay.
http://www.thelarues.com/prius.html
Bob Wilson

Thank you, Bob. But this is for the Prius I. I am interested in the prius II...

. . .

If it were me, I'd buy the equvalent Toyota maintenance manual and see how it works. I suspect a simular mechanism is used in the NHW20 . . . but it might be cheaper to pay the $2,000.
GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Bob Wilson) wrote:

That's the previous generation Prius; I don't know whether it will work with the current model.

It is correct English.

Once you have smart entry and smart start, you'll learn very quickly to like it.

That's exactly what Bill said! Do, maybe I take the more expensive version.... Unless installing the cc can be done for, let's say, about 500 dollar?
Carpe Diem wrote:

The 2 parts lists that I have posted show prices of 103-123 euros, excluding VAT. You'll probably have to pay more than that for labor, especially if you have your dealer install it for warranty purposes.
Depends if you really want/need the other options.
I don't know if your basic audio system has the aux-input jack or not, for example (basic US 2006 Prius does not, but any upgrade option packages does have it). The upgraded audio isn't all that it is cracked up to be. You can add a 6-CD in-dash changer to the base unit (giving you a 7CD capability) if you want the added capability, and based on the CD options in Europe for the Classic Prius there's probably a few other 10 or more CD units that may also work (in center console or in boot). The extra speakers/amplifier cannot be added later, though.
Unless you drive in fog often, the front fog lights probably aren't worth it. Sadly, they can only be replaced by the dealer (according to a US owner's manual, anyways), They can be pricy, and are prone to getting cracked by rock chips. The factory front fog lights cannot be added after delivery.
Smart Entry and Smart Start/SE&SS/Smart Key System/SKS is really a neat feature once you have it. No more reaching in your pocket or purse or bags for your keys to lock/unlock the doors or placing a key into the dash to start the car. Can you live without it? Sure, but once you have it you wish that the doors to your home, office/work, other vehichles, etc. all did the same thing... You cannot add it to your car later.
Le 07/17/2006 03:03 PM, Carpe Diem nous fit lire :

What about crossing the Belgium-France border (and loosing the free 5-year maintenance...), to get a Linea Sol (has 1, no 2, no 3, no 4, no GPS either) ?

What about http://prius-touring-club.com/lesite/acceuil/index.html they are planning a meeting for beginning of September, in Namur!

I that case, I prefer to buy the more expensive version (suppl. of 1500 euro) and have ALL the extras, including cc AND including my 5 year free maintenance!!