Cruise control

In Belgium (sorry for my bad english language) the Prius can be bought in 2 versions. The cheapest version doesn't have cruise control (and has a less sofisticated audio, no fog lights (is this correct english?), and there are also some other minor differences, but I am not interested in those...). For the version with the cruise control (cc is the only option in wich I am really interested...) I have to pay a supplement of about 2000 dollar, so I am wondering : is this worth the price? It must be possible to add a cruise control in a Prius that doesn't have one for much less than 2000 dollar?!

Reply to
Carpe Diem

It has been possible to add cruise control to Prius in the past. The mechanism is a resistor network that feeds one pin of the hybrid vehicle ECU . . . unless Toyota has changed the control software to block it out. So far, I've not heard any such reports.

There is a Yahoogroup for European Prius owners and I would recommend posting your question there. Someone may have already done it. I know it was done in the States with an NHW11 model (01-03).

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson

$2000 seems like a hefty price but if I understand you correctly you would be getting more than just cruise control. Could it be because of the VAT also? Just out of curiosity, what are they asking for either versions? My '03 came with the trunk netting and the little safety kit. Definitely an over priced option at over $300. I keep a $10 rectangle plastic container in the trunk at all times and it does a fine job keeping potential stain causing things like bleach separate. Works great for hauling bags of soil or two 20 lb. propane cylinders from rolling around. About the only good thing I can say about the netting is, without the container I mentioned, it does a good job camouflaging the bags of groceries. But as far as the cruise control in your situation, I know aftermarket ones are available but I don't know how much it cost.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital

Just to be a party-pooper... propane cylinders with attached valves are not allowed by USDOT regs to be carried in the passenger compartment of a vehicle on US public roads (probably the same in other countries). AFAIK the valveless type, such as hand-held torches use, are not restricted. Personally, I think it is a "weenie" regulation and do the same as you: I just restrain the tank when I have to use our station wagon to refill the tank. I do throw a blanket over it so it doesn't stand out while I'm driving.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Two versions are called Luna and Sol (what's in a name?). Luna is 26000 euro. Sol = 27500 euro. All prices include VAT. Difference of 1500 euro is about 2000 dollar (?). What does Sol have and Luna not :

1) cruise control 2) front fog lights (I still don't know if this is correct english...) 3) a much better audio system from JBL (9 LS, 6-cd changer,...) 4) Smart entry and smart start. I really can live without 2 - 4, but I love a cruise control. I did NOT find anything about it in the Yahoogroup for European Prius owners, or in other groups....

"mark_digital©" schreef in bericht news:59ydnXzQIdD-2ibZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Carpe Diem

"Carpe Diem" a écrit dans le message de news:

2VLug.542004$ snipped-for-privacy@phobos.telenet-ops.be...

Hi,

You can try :

Best regards, Philippe Steff (from France)

Reply to
Philippe Steff

This is how one of the San Diego users did it with their Prius. This was before cruise control parts were available from Ebay.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson

I will have a look. Thank you. Merci.

"Philippe Steff" schreef in bericht news:44bb8e99$0$888$ snipped-for-privacy@news.orange.fr...

Reply to
Carpe Diem

Thank you, Bob. But this is for the Prius I. I am interested in the prius II...

Reply to
Carpe Diem

I have a '03 Prius. It's not a hatchback. mark_

Reply to
mark digital

Cool! You're covered.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It is correct English.

Once you have smart entry and smart start, you'll learn very quickly to like it.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

That's the previous generation Prius; I don't know whether it will work with the current model.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

"Fog lights" is correct. There are other English labels for them but fog lights is probably the most common, at least where I live. I think cruise control helps me achieve better mileage because I have difficulty maintaining a constant pedal pressure. I wasn't excited about the keyless entry until I picked up my Prius and discovered how convenient it is. Now I wouldn't want a car without it. :-)

Reply to
Bill

"Michelle Steiner" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.cox.net...

That's exactly what Bill said! Do, maybe I take the more expensive version.... Unless installing the cc can be done for, let's say, about 500 dollar?

Reply to
Carpe Diem

Le 07/17/2006 03:03 PM, Carpe Diem nous fit lire :

What about crossing the Belgium-France border (and loosing the free

5-year maintenance...), to get a Linea Sol (has 1, no 2, no 3, no 4, no GPS either) ?

What about

are planning a meeting for beginning of September, in Namur!

Reply to
Le Forgeron

Well, one option is to buy the Prius from a different country than your own. I've heard of at least one Italian who went to France to buy his NHW20 Prius because the French Prius comes with cruise control while the Italian Prius does not. (Each region seems to order their Prius with whatever options they like, but all of the European Prius all meet the EU regulations...)

A few people in Europe and in the UK have been upgrading their NHW20s that did not originally have cruise control... It's just missing a few parts (like the steering wheel control stalk). See:

for aparts/price list and install story You would need to be a member of the Prius-Europe yahoogroup to view these files, but:

parts list:

and the head of the long thread about the Cruise Control retrofit for a European NHW20:

More info on the Classic's (NHW11) cruise control can be found in the toyota-prius yahoogroup. I know of a few Australian classic Prius owners that had the kit shipped to them and installed (RHD) and it works fine, but they lack the CRUISE light on the dash to know if the cruise is enabled.

In the US I had ordered mine for my 2001 through Metro Toyota. Although Eddie Bell is no longer with us, the parts department there is still very helpful and decently priced. I don't know if they'll ship to Europe, though.

mrv

You can try either :

Philippe Steff french lurker

"Carpe Diem" a écrit dans le message de news: ulMug.542037$ snipped-for-privacy@phobos.telenet-ops.be...

Reply to
Philippe Steff

The 2 parts lists that I have posted show prices of 103-123 euros, excluding VAT. You'll probably have to pay more than that for labor, especially if you have your dealer install it for warranty purposes.

Depends if you really want/need the other options.

I don't know if your basic audio system has the aux-input jack or not, for example (basic US 2006 Prius does not, but any upgrade option packages does have it). The upgraded audio isn't all that it is cracked up to be. You can add a 6-CD in-dash changer to the base unit (giving you a 7CD capability) if you want the added capability, and based on the CD options in Europe for the Classic Prius there's probably a few other 10 or more CD units that may also work (in center console or in boot). The extra speakers/amplifier cannot be added later, though.

Unless you drive in fog often, the front fog lights probably aren't worth it. Sadly, they can only be replaced by the dealer (according to a US owner's manual, anyways), They can be pricy, and are prone to getting cracked by rock chips. The factory front fog lights cannot be added after delivery.

Smart Entry and Smart Start/SE&SS/Smart Key System/SKS is really a neat feature once you have it. No more reaching in your pocket or purse or bags for your keys to lock/unlock the doors or placing a key into the dash to start the car. Can you live without it? Sure, but once you have it you wish that the doors to your home, office/work, other vehichles, etc. all did the same thing... You cannot add it to your car later.

Reply to
mrv

The cruise control information is still in the Messages and Files section of the Prius-Europe Yahoo!Group. Perhaps the poor-excuse-for-a-search-engine message search on the yahoogroup message archives just didn't find what you were looking for.

Other European Prius discussion groups are listed in their Links (Bookmarks) section under "Prius web sites".

Reply to
mrv