Damn air dam

I just purchased a new air dam for the second time in two months. $65 I would like to have spent, possibly, other ways.

Would not having an air dam be of any great detriment to the Prius, considering I drive mine nearly always in town, at less than highway speeds?

-- Regards, Pete snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

You can answer your own damn dam question.

Reply to
Who Dat?

I suppose. But I wanted to know if anything really bad might happen, and if %65 every couple of months would avoid it, was it worth it?

I really hate having to drive up to the dealer, dam dragging on the ground, everyone staring at me.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

So leave it off. They make very poor battering rams.

Without knowing much about the Prius implementation and how integrated it is with other functions, most chin/deck spoilers, wings and aero packages generally are mostly cosmetic, ineffective below highway speeds from an aero perspective.

Reply to
News

Neo:

If you think that air dams look "super cool," you can't possibly be old enough to drive a car. Cool is here, and it ain't got no stinkin' air dam .

Bzzzzzzt! It's high curbs. Most of us don't drive all that much in Pennsylvania for potholes to be a factor.

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

From my experience, they mostly strike high parking space curbs. Regardless, I have never had to replace one. What is the OP doing to completely destroy it so often?

Reply to
greenpjs

Davoud:

greenpjs:

Ditto.

One could only speculate. Being a careless parker would be my first stab at it.

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

The OP (that's me) parks in designated "Handicapped" spaces, which usually have one of those small(ish) curbs to keep one from knocking down the "Handicapped" sign. he one that got me this time had a bolt sticking about 2" higher than the curb itself, intended to keep the curb in place, but it got me in the air dam and tore it off.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

With respect, have you had your eyesight checked lately?

Reply to
News

Peter Granzeau:

Bad luck. The only solution I know is to remember that your car is shorter than the average car and does not need to be as deep in the parking slot as larger cars. Stay a foot back from curbs and you'll do fine. I scraped my Prius air dam once (no visible damage) before having that little epiphany.

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

I sometimes forget and pull over a curb that touches too, but have been lucky enough to avoid one with a locating stake poking out the top. My Prius is lower than the Honda van and Nissan pickup I drove before the Prius and it has been a learning experience for me too.

Sorry you lost your air dam. I didn't know what you were talking about the first couple days. Still don't understand the purpose of such a thing. I suppose it looks better with one on, rather than off.

Reply to
Hal

The curb piece is invisible (below line of sight) when pulling in to the parking place.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

With respect, if you missed seeing "a bolt sticking about 2" higher than the curb itself, intended to keep the curbin place, but it got me in the air dam and tore it off", then you need to either be more aware or have your eyes checked.

Reply to
News

I can see the bolt when I start to park. I can not tell when the bumper gets near it because it is by then below my line of sight. There are no index markings on the pavement to either side showing me where the curb is. If it were a real curb/gutter, I would have no problems at all. The entire piece of concrete is hidden be the front of my Prius when I pull into the parking place.

My eyesight is 20/20. The air dam on the Prius is about an inch too low.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

So according to that logic you inch ahead just far enough to catch the dam then back off to remove it.

Brilliant.

Reply to
News

At which point, the dam tears off.

Indeed.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

And you've done this how many times?

Reply to
News

This is a test. Are you constitutionally incapable of leaving a post unanswered?

Reply to
Peter Granzeau