Re: Front End Vibes

I am a new to the Super Duty thing myself, just having bought a 2000 F-250 SD PSD a few months ago. The problem you are having seems to be characteristic of the SD's. I have two friends who have owned their SD's for three years or so and I have helped them through a few brake jobs over that time. Seems these trucks are prone to warping the front rotors ever so slightly which causes the "jumping" during braking. Mine does it a little but only when going at highway speeds. Not even noticeable around town. My one buddy bought himself a complete set of spare rotors ($70 a piece new) and always has a fresh turned set on hand when doing a brake job to expedite the process a bit. That way you don't have to get them off, drive something else to the machine shop, get them turned and then put them on. You just get the spares done between brake jobs.

Getting some serious vibration from the front end when applying breaks, just > noticed it this year. Have not inspected brake pads yet, and am trying to > think how the front disks could be warped, if in fact they are, don't do any > heavy breaking. Tires rotated at 10K by Ford dealership, hoping it is not > improper torque on lugs. > > No scaring on any of the disk rotors front or back, nor either side of pad > areas of each rotor. I suspect I will change pads first. > > 2002 F250 CC 4x4, 5.4L, 30K miles of super easy driving. > >
Reply to
BunnMan

I had the same problem with my 1996 Ford Crown Victoria since I bought it new. I now have 115,000 miles on the car.

First I had the mechanic always torque wheels to spec and I stopped having my rotors cut (replaced them with new ones uncut) and problem went away. I tried once having an exisiting set cut again and the problem returned. I promptly changed them with new uncut rotors ever since and problem never came back.

I do not know if this would work with your truck since there is so much more weight to stop. But it is worth a try ?

Good luck.

Reply to
Ben Kaufman