Finally have one! :-)

I've posted here in the past, although rarely.

Have wanted a Prius since the '04 came out; drove 100 miles to see (other than in pics) & test drive one back then. (In fact, IIRC, someone here read one of my posts & directed me to the upstate NY dealership that actually had one on their lot - it was being used as a rental at the point.) But no matter how many times I did the math, was ~$5K difference over a 6 yr. ownership between a low # pkg. '04 Prius & a virtually fully loaded Corolla LE. Couldn't justify that amt. of money (other than "want"!), so wound up buying my 4th Corolla in a row. Perfectly good car, smart buy, etc., but by the 4th one... pretty boring. ;-) As it turned out, the Prius has held its value - for a car - really well, so the difference in cost may've been more like $1 - 2K , but never predicted that/thought to factor that in at the time.

Anyway... over 5 years went by & when the 2010 Prius came out - and read the reviews, decided it was about time to treat myself. ;-) Ordered one ( a lowly II, but it's still an upgrade from my Corolla LE) at the end of Aug. & have now had it for 3 weeks; love it. Besides the fact that I have liked the exterior & dash designs since the '04 came out, that it feels extra solid, that it is relatively spacious, that it has airbags out the wazoo, etc., today - in around-town driving - got 77.6 MPG at one point! :-)

I don't miss the moonroof I had on the last 2 Corollas - although I may a bit come next spring/summer. However... what I really *do* miss are: daytime running lights & most esp. auto-on full headlights, and... why is there no place to put one's quarters in the Prius?!?! I've solved the headlight problem by leaving them on all of the time, since they're auto-off. But have yet to find a place for car wash quarters...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it. Find a cup that fits the pop bottle holder (or whatever it is) on the inside of the front door panel. Put your quarters in the cup.

Reply to
Al Falfa

Yeah, supposedly those are extra bottle holders. Thanks - good idea. I presently have some other stuff in there, but this would work

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy

but, the Prius is a larger car, with different amenities.

You can't justify buying an Accord over a Civic based on price alone, but if you want the size and amenities, you get what you want/need.

I wish the world would quit seeing the Prius on solely a gas mileage basis, and start looking at it as a car in the same way they look at other cars. Compare it on that basis, and see what you think.

I rented a Corolla when my Prius was in the shop, and while it's a nice car, it's enough smaller that I wouldn't have one--never mind that it's cheaper to buy.

If "cheaper to buy" is your criteria for everything in your life, I'd love to see your house. Oh, that's NOT your criteria for everything in your life?

Really.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Al Falfa

Yes, it is. But the Corolla fit my needs fine.

I didn't *need* a Prius. I wanted one. Not enough of a reason for me to spend an extra $5K at that point in time. As to amenities, the Corolla was an LE with added options, so wasn't exactly a bare bones deal.

What I saw was that I liked the Prius more than the Corolla, but am not rolling in money, & the Corolla fit my needs.

I don't *need* a car that's larger than a Corolla.

Don't get yourself in a frazzle: my criteria is : "Is it the right price for what I need & want?" Something can be less expensive, yet not worth buying instead of the pricier deal. Hmmm... thought that was readily apparent via my choice of the Prius over the Insight.

I'd

It's a lovely house; it truly is - no need to worry yourself on that count, either. Got this house for a good price - a very good price. And one which was affordable. (The mortgage has been paid off - vs. being in the mess so many people have found themselves in.) It was built in 1920 & has a lot of charm, HW floors throughout - incl. the kitchen, French doors, wood-burning fireplace, breakfast nook, plaster & lath construction, etc. The same amenities in a new house would cost the earth & be completely out of budget.

I made the right choices for *my* circumstances.

Yeah, really.

A simple "Congrats" would've been nice...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy

Oops - sorry! - thought I'd posted the bit about comparing the Prius with the Hionda Insight, but didn't here (did in another Toyota ng). So...

I did take some looks at the '10 Honda Insight, but IMO it just didn't measure up. Mileage isn't as good, it's smaller, not as much power, and I heartily dislike the design of the dash (all knobly instead of sleek). The price is better, & the exterior is cute (well, gee, I wonder why?! ), but overall it falls short of the Prius, AFAIC.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy

But you compared the cars based on things that didn't matter.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Huh? Yes, they mattered - to me.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy

Reports from CleanMpg.com and Consumer Reports say that the Prius - as with most other vehicles with an instantaneous Fuel Efficiency (iFE) Display tends to overestimate the MPG by 2 to 4 Miles. ================Okay, then it could've been 73.6 - 75.6. I think I can deal with that. ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy

In the '04 through '09, they won't handle a 20 oz bottle, the kind you usually get nowadays from dispensers, so are mostly useless. They seem to be intended to hold a 12 oz can or bottle, nothing larger.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

The 2004 model has coin and can holders out the wazoo in the centre console. Sometimes progress leads to errors in design?

Reply to
Lu R

I also drove a hire Corolla and found them no-where near as pleasant to drive as my Prius. The passenger space and auto transmission leave a lot to be desired.

Reply to
Lu R

Woo hoo! See you at

richard schumacher