Insurance Rates

How do insurance rates on the Prius compare to other cars. Higher, lower. no change?

Reply to
John Hinson

Here in Arizona with Farmers, no difference.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Dodge Ram pickup and Prius in Southern CA insured with Auto Club of So. CA was about $30 difference. Mine's around $930 year, F.C. May have something to do with comparable cost when I was shopping.

That said, with any new car it will go up --- substantially.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Prius gets a discount from State Farm because it is difficult to steal.

Reply to
richard schumacher

When I purchased both my 2001 and 2004 Prius, because the model was so new, the insurance rates at the time was based on the purchase price of the vehicle. (I had the same quote for a 2001 Saturn LS300, as that car was also a new model at the time and at the same price as the Prius, the rates were the same.)

Just make sure that when you get your quote, that the insurance agent is giving you all the discounts that you are entitled to. NHW11s come standard with an engine immobilizer and alarm, and both on my 2001 and my mother's 2002 (different agents/different insurers) the insurance didn't come with the discounts for the antitheft items. NHW20s come standard with the engine immobilizer. Don't forget about the side air bags if so equipped, either.

And some insurance companies (such as Travelers) offers discounts on hybrids.

Reply to
mrv

Subject: Why I changed to Traveler's

Tom Moths Traveler's Insurance

Dear Tom,

With independent insurance agent Jim Schrader's help, we moved from Allstate to Traveler's thanks to the hybrid vehicle discount. We have done business with Allstate for decades and they have been good to us. But when I had to replace my '91 Camry with no option to repair it, a lot of good will went away. I bought a used, 2003 Prius hybrid and a couple of months later, learned that your company was going to offer a hybrid-electric discount. That made this switch possible for both cars today and shortly, the house.

I have found that driving a Prius encourages conservative, alert habits because we want to save gas. I get better mileage by taking a shorter, more direct route further saving gas and avoiding high speed traffic. The 2003 Prius has greatly improved safety features and excellent performance. That Traveler's recognizes the unique characteristics of hybrid electrics and their owners is just icing on the cake. But even with the hybrid discount, Traveler's was not the least expensive offering.

You have my business because of Traveler's recognition of the valuable role hybrids play in our nation's future. It is my small recognition and admiration for your doing the right thing. Thank you for leading the way and I look forward to a long and successful association.

Yours, Robert J. Wilson "Bob"

Reply to
Bob Wilson