lazy hazy hot and humid

There was some mail I left on my front seat and the car was locked. Instead of getting my keys and unlocking the car I reached in up to my elbow through a small opening in the window and then down to the handle. I nearly ripped the skin off my arm when I got startled by the alarm. How did the alarm know to sound off?

Reply to
mark digital

At what point did it go off? If it was when you pulled on the handle, that means that the alarm was working properly. If it was before then, that means that the glass sensor was working properly.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

It saw your reflection in the glass. :-)

Reply to
Bill

I was standing outside the car, reached inside and opened the door by the handle. How did the security system know the door was being opened by someone outside the car and not while inside?

mark_

Reply to
mark digital

No way! The car faces the street. There's nothing out there but a wood retaining wall.

Reply to
mark digital

Once the security system is activated, it will set off the alarm any time someone tries to open unlock the car without using the remote or the mechanical key.

Sit in the car, and lock it with the key fob; then try to open it without using the fob.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

OK I will get back to you later on this because right now it's pitch black outside and I don't want to stir up the frogs. Their croaking will wake up the dead.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital

*ribbit*
Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I think most alarm systems do that. I know I've had my share of noisy surprises!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Mike, you really need to find some other way to support your habit. :-)

Reply to
Bill

I locked the doors with the fob while I sat inside. Opened the door and the alarm didn't sound. I tried it again but this time I raised myself off a bit from the seat and the alarm still didn't sound. So, for the third time, how does the security system know if the inside handle of the door is being opened by someone in the car or standing outside the car?? Is there pressure sensors near the gas peddle or brake? Can it smell an occupant? ;) mark_

Reply to
mark digital

No: it knows how many times the doors have been opened. Toyota knows that lots of people lock the doors while driving. It would be silly to design the alarm to sound the first time the doors are opened after they were locked.

Roll down a window, then shut off the car and get out and lock it the usual way. Then reach in through the window and open the door.

Reply to
richard schumacher

Damn! Now why didn't I think of that?? Wait a minute. I did that already. So, what you're saying is the first time in counts as one and then open the door and lock it counts as two. So the alarm will sound off on the even number?

Reply to
mark digital

I smell fish. What if two people enter the rear seating with one door operation but leave separately with two operations of the same door?

Reply to
Bill

You know what? I don't think I'm going to get an answer to my question.

Reply to
mark digital

Well, huh: mine isn't working as advertised either. Off to the dealer for diagnosis.

Reply to
richard schumacher

there was no weight on the seat of the door that was opened so the car knew it was being robbed

Reply to
MFH

Are their pressure sensors in the back seat too?

Reply to
Bill