warning message

Has anyone gotten a warning message before? Four days ago I got a message that said something like "Warning. Battery will not charge unless placed in
neutral". When placed in neutral the screen showed the battery was charging and when placed back in drive the warning came on again. I then turned off the A/C and turned off the car. When I turned it on again and placed it in drive, the warning came on again. I drove a short distance with the warning on and then parked it for an hour. That seemed to solve the problem. I usually get about 54 mpg but my mileage dropped into the high 40s a couple days. The mileage appears to be heading up again. I have a 2005 with 6,000 miles on it. Over all this has been a great car.

Steve.D wrote:

Is it the warning shown on page 14 of my 2004 US Prius Owner's Manual, Section 1-2 Features on New Toyota Vehicle: Toyota Hybrid System, Precautions for use? There's a picture of the MFD which states 'CAUTION: Shift the position into range "P" when parking. The batteries will not charge if the transmission is in Neutral "N".' This warning will come up if the Prius is on, in gear, and the driver's door is open. Not very informative, but the dash door open light should be a clue.
And the screen doesn't tell you the whole truth. Neutral ("N" on the PRNDB display) is an electric neutral - there is no charging to the hybrid battery, nor will the electric motors, or gasoline engine, provide any power to the wheels.
I could not find the warning in the manual. I am sure the door was completely closed but with the warning message on the screen and the warning sounding off, I did not notice a door open symbol. At the time, it seemed more serious because I did notice the gas mileage had dropped. The screen indicated the battery was half charged.

Steve.D wrote:

page 14 of my 2004 US Prius Owner's Manual, Section 1-2 Features on New Toyota Vehicle: Toyota Hybrid System, Precautions for Use.

Why did you put it in "N"? Just trying to get a complete picture of the situation.
The screen said to put it in neutral. It did stop the warning but it did not help me getting any where.