Not for Golfers

In San Francisco, garages in many older built houses and duplexes are small. So a difference in inches for the width of a car is a consideration when buying a car. My father was delighted that the Prius was just the right size to fit. So he gave up his Honda Civic for a Prius. Unfortunately, my father found out he couldn't fit his golf bag and clubs in the trunk. So if you are a golfer, the trunk size might be a consideration. Also, my 89 year old father really doesn't like to figure out highly electronic controls so he keeps it simple. However, in all other respects, my father is pleased with the Prius.

Reply to
ewleongusa

Has he seen how roomy the back is with the back seats folded down? Just have him remove the headrests, fold the seats forward, and presto, he can haul his clubs, his friends clubs, some strangers clubs.... And yeah, you have to remove that piece that pulls out to cover the contents of the storage area.

Reply to
OscartheGrouch

Put one of the rear seats down, and it will fit.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Not if you can slide the bags under it.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

True. He most likely can slide a golf bag under that cover thing. I'm used to carrying my band equipment around so I remove it. I was amazed to find that I could carry an amp head, a cabinet with four 10 inch speakers (it's a big cabinet), a guitar, 2 PA speakers with 15 inch speakers and a horn in each. Then I can load up small stuff in the passenger seat up front. This car has amazing carrying capacity for a small looking car.

Reply to
OscartheGrouch

Hi:

I moved most of our books, records and small furnishings from one house to another in about 5 trips using the Prius (50 miles a trip= one gallon). I was AMAZED at how much it would carry if you really packed it correctly.

John Baker

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
John Baker

Must be a large set of golf bag/clubs.

I was challenged at work to see how many bags of golf clubs could fit into my 2001 Prius. I don't golf, and I could only find 3 golfers that had their gear with them that day, so I easily got 3 sets of golf bags/clubs (well, the owners loaded them in) into the trunk of my 2001. The guys at work were most impressed.

Now, the 2004-current Prius is larger (a midsize, not a compact like my

2001), and is a hatchback (not a sedan like my 2001), so I would expect that you could fit even more in there...
Reply to
mrv

Perhaps he doesn't trust the tonneau cover (the window shade thingy, for the non-cognoscenti) and wants to put them in the hard-lidded storage area. They'll never fit there.

Reply to
richard schumacher

I fit a wrapped up Christmas tree in mine, with only one seat down, so I know clubs should be a lay up.

Reply to
beernuts

I, like your father, discovered that the Prius would not hold a golf bag crosswise! Coincidentally, I found that I play much better if I leave my longer clubs at home! (I'm 67, and a driver is no longer in my bag, unless I get an infrequent jolt of testosterone). Next to go is the 3 wood, and voila, the golf bag fits just fine. Kudo's to your father if he is still able to play with the longer clubs at 89. It gives me a reason to hope. DD ps: the obvious solution for the younger/better golfers is to fold down the rear seatbacks....duh?

Reply to
Dand