Uncool Britannia

Any one hear 'Uncool Britannia' this morning at 10.30 on R4? All about the Montego and Maestro, etc. Typical journalistic knocking so rather one sided but worth a listen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I think 'entertainment' more than anything. The stories about sabotage - coke cans in the doors, loose bolts behind the hub caps - incredible if true.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Quentin Wilson likes to be known as a 'hands on' type so I'd guess adds in all these 'urban myths' as personal experience. And likely embellishes them. It's always been quite common to find assorted screws etc in a new car under carpets and so on - but this wasn't deliberate sabotage. That's not to say it didn't happen - but on so many cars bought at random as he suggests?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh that was true. Ford suffered from it as well though. One of my father's Ford cars had runnign problems. He stripped down the carburettor and found the float wedged with a metal disk that had "HA HA BOLLOCKS TO FORD" stamped on it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It was a bit over generous to the festering piles of s**te.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well, the best part of the Montego and Maestro was the VW gearbox!... :~0

Reply to
Jerry

: : Yes, I think 'entertainment' more than anything. The stories about : sabotage - coke cans in the doors, loose bolts behind the hub caps - : incredible if true. :

I strongly suspect this is urban myth, if disgruntled workers wanted to sabotage BL (or what ever name it was going by at the time...) there were far better, less obvious ways to cause greater annoyance/damage.

Reply to
Jerry

: > Yes, I think 'entertainment' more than anything. The stories about : > sabotage - coke cans in the doors, loose bolts behind the hub caps - : > incredible if true. : : Oh that was true. Ford suffered from it as well though. One of my : father's Ford cars had runnign problems. He stripped down the : carburettor and found the float wedged with a metal disk that had "HA HA : BOLLOCKS TO FORD" stamped on it.

Your father ran/worked for a Ford dealer?...

Reply to
Jerry

Well that's news to me.

Reply to
Steve Firth

: > Your father ran/worked for a Ford dealer?... : : Well that's news to me.

Then stop talking s**te!

Reply to
Jerry

I was told by a chap I know that he had picked up a IIRC a Mercedes Benz from the factory for a customer and drove it back to the UK. It had a clonk occasionally from one of the doors and so he took it to a MB dealer in the UK before delivery, the dealer said he'd sort it and did. When pressed for what the fault was the dealer admitted it was a beer bottle. It seems the workers were allowed beer on the line in those days but the management was trying to stop the practice. The workers protest was to leave the occasional bottle in the cars.

Reply to
David Billington

My father owned a Ford car, several in fact. And he did his own car repairs, as do I. So quite what you're on about, or more likely on, I don't know.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ha, if it was a Rolls Royce then the person responsible would be easily found, Their radiators for example were always logged as to who worked on them and the builders initials would be etched on the radiator somewhere, so if the vehicle ever came in for radiator work then the same person who built the rad could do the work, surmising they were still alive of course.

This was probably the same for other areas, ISTR our names being logged to the vehicle we worked on in the paint finishing shop as each car had a factory log book on who and when the vehicle was worked on and amazingly who the actual intended owner was in some cases.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

: > : > Your father ran/worked for a Ford dealer?... : > : : > : Well that's news to me. : >

: > Then stop talking s**te! : : My father owned a Ford car, several in fact. And he did his own car

...and obviously didn't bother with the Ford Warranty either!

: repairs, as do I. So quite what you're on about, or more likely on, I : don't know.

PDI...

Reply to
Jerry

Easy to do with a Royce, much harder with mass-produced cars. My grandfather built Royce cars at their plant in Hulme before they moved to Crewe.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well no, it being a s/h car he didn't. And having had it back to the garage several times with them unable to find out why it was running rich with a lumpy idle he did what most engineers would do.

FFS, how long ago do you think this was?

And how many dealers do you know who have a PDI which declares "Strip down the carburettor and inspect the float"?

Your talking complete s**te, apparently bithely unaware of the fact that you are talking s**te.

Reply to
Steve Firth

really? I found it the most notchy awful box to use - probably a poor linkage.... Brand new D reg 1.6L. Gold with chocolate interior...nice.

Reply to
john

Stripping and inspecting the carb would be one of the first things to do with a 'rich and lumpy idle'. Flooding being the likely suspect. But don't let that spoil a good story....

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't let complete ignorance of the facts deter you from claiming to know better.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Perhaps you could justify that crap you just posted? Well no you can't becuase all you've done is pout and call me a liar.

Reply to
Steve Firth