Avanti powered larks

Man they should of made more of those ..I read something that they were powered with the supercharged 289. And the gear set was 3.54 Nice gears for the street. Yea I'd liked too see more info on the web about those.

Reply to
Mike

I have a NOS 3.54 ring and pinion set on eBay right now- $9.99 opening bid, no reserve. See:

3&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item#0092528038&rd=1&rd=1Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

My R2 Lark has a 3:31. When I used to PLAY with it on the streets, I never was foolish enough to try and get them off the line. I used to toy with them and get up some speed. Sometimes hitting 60MPH before I would hit second. Then they would follow me to a parking lot and ask what I was running. When I would pop the hood, they would always asked that the hell was that. Always made me feel good when I would tell them its all factory and they would tell me how much they had spent to beef theirs up.

David

Reply to
VWandSTUDEBAKER

Back in '70 or '71 when I was living in the San Francisco Bay Area, a member of the Sequoia Chapter found a '63 Daytona hardtop sitting way back in a used car lot. It turned out to have a R-2 and a four-speed with a 3.07 rear. He bought it for something like $350 and let his son have it. One night, way past my bedtime, he was coming up the old Nimitz Freeway from San Jose. There wasn't anyone close so you "put the pedal to the metal". One set of headlights stayed visible behind, but was falling back. When he turned off at his exit the headlights caught up. They were on a California Highway Patrol car. The patrolman told him he thought he had him clocked at

132, but couldn't prove it so he let him off. No, the car doesn't exist now. The son totaled it later. Paul Johnson
Reply to
Paul Johnson

The fastest I had mine was 120....in 3rd gear. :)

David

Reply to
VWandSTUDEBAKER

I had installed a 3.07 in my ols Avanti R-1 four speed but removed it because it just would ping way too much. In fact, that very rear axle assy sits in the back shed with about 7K on it. I may end up in the '55 Prez sedan though..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I never had too much of a ping problem, but then I was using corn sqeezings in my tank :) Dont know if it ever did any damage to the engine, but it seemed to like it a lot. And my dad had a pretty good ear when it come to tuning it and playing with jets for the carb. Guess thats why they used to let him work on Air Force 1 for Eisenhour(sp). Sure missmy dad and those days of going to the Co-op in Kokomo.

David

David

Reply to
VWandSTUDEBAKER

"And my dad had a pretty good ear when it come to tuning it and playing with jets for the carb. Guess thats why they used to let him work on Air Force 1 for

Kokomo. -- David

Eisenhower's "Air Force One" was "Columbine," a Constellation with four "3-stage turbocharged" 18 cylinder 3400 HP Wrights...only one carb each, though, so I guess your dad got told he had it easy. Sure love the sound of those big round motors. Sure glad I don't have to tune them up.

Reply to
comatus