Guess how much to rekey/reprogram alarm? Go ahead...guess

Had my backpack stolen with my license and carkeys. Since the thief knows where I live, I am considering to rekey my vehicle and reprogram my remote/alarm. Dealer estimate? Only $1600. Ouch. Now, I'm considering trading it in and taking the energy tax deduction. Is this cost normal?

Reply to
system

That's about what they charge for replacing the computer which communicates with the keys, and that is the only means of re-keying.

Reply to
richard schumacher

The only cases I know of of a stolen Prius had to do with the keys stolen, so it would be a good idea to remove the stolen registered keyfob from the car's engine immobilizer computer.

If you had your only remaining keyfob stolen, then the price sounds about right, as you would need to replace the security ECU in order to add a new key. (An already registered keyfob is needed to start the add/remove process for the engine immobilizer, so don't loose that last registered keyfob!)

I don't know the price to rekey the mechanical door lock on the driver's door, but a new mechanical key can be cut using the metal keytag that came with your keyfobs when you bought the car, or from a dealer with your VIN, no master metal key needed. The metal key (if you already have one) can be cut for cheaper at a locksmith or hardware store if you already have a master, though.

When buying new keyfobs, shop around at several dealers' parts departments. Prices will vary. Be careful that you are buying the correct keyfob - depending on the color of the Toyota logo (silver or black) will depend if the keyfob is a Smart key. (the color is listed in the Owner's Manual, but I don't have mine handy to check at the moment.) Be careful of buying used keyfobs from eBay or the like, although they may be cheaper the remote features aren't able to be reprogrammed.

Sadly, only a dealer can program the car to accept a new keyfob (add/delete), as the process requires a dealer scantool (THHT). So, expect some form of labor charge to add/delete the keys, besides the part cost of the keyfob. Just make sure that you test out the keyfobs before you leave your dealer (the remote functions all work, the Smart functions all work, the keyfob can start the car), as sometimes the dealer will forget that there are separate procedures for the Smart function/remote function/ignition start function.

the little metal mechanical key (2004-2006 Prius) is US part number

69515-47010.

the (2004-2006 Prius) keyfob WITHOUT the Smart function is US part number 89071-47180. List price is $192.33.

the (2004-2006 Prius) keyfob WITH the Smart function is US part number

89904-47061. List price is $214.00.

At a known discount dealer, Conicelli Toyota - PA, Tom Rielli -

800-825-7128 ext.2653, the metal key is $3.97, the Smart-less keyfob is $144.17, the Smart keyfob is $160.50. That's the Prius-2G yahoogroup prices, taken from the Parts Database section.
(you need to be a member of the group to view that section.) You could also try some of the other known discount parts dealers (even for the security ECU, you might get a better price, even after shipping):

However, you do not say what model Prius you have... If you have a

2001-2003 Prius, things are a little easier. You still have the problem that if you lost all of your keys, you have to replace the security ECU (about the price you listed above), and if you want the locks rekeyed that'll be a bit of work (front driver's and passenger's door, trunk, and ignition lock). However, you are not beholden to the dealer if you need to add/delete registered keys, as you can order them cheaply and program them yourself if you have a remaining master (black) key (not the grey sub/valet key), and hardware stores are inexpensive ways to copy the mechanical key. Same deal with the metal keytag or VIN use to get the metal keycut pattern for the mechanical locks. Keys:
(US $18)Programming keys:
remotes:

Good luck!

(oh, and be sure to check into the IRS recapture rules for the tax deduction or credit, should you decide to sell your vehicle...)

Reply to
mrv

[...]

Only if you have lost all of your keys and the keyfob. What year is it?

On Ebay, you can buy blank keys and Prius keyfobs. There is a process you can use to 'teach' the new key to your car. The same is true for the keyfob. Then you can wipe out the old key and keyfob entries:

I bought a Prius fob from Ebay and programmed it in our Prius. I didn't know about the programming the key so I paid $75 for the dealer to do a $20 job via Ebay and Lowes.

BTW, I'd recommend making sure you have two keys and keyfobs, ASAP.

Now if you want to change the mechanical tumblers, that is a different problem.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson

This sounds like the normal cost at the dealer. A locksmith with up-to-date tools may be able to do it for you cheaper.

You do not have to replace the ECU, but it is time intensive to program new keys without the master. It's probably easier for the shop to sell you a new ECU (since they profit anyway) than it is to go through the timed steps to reprogram it.

If I recall correctly from the article I read last year, the ECU reprogramming without a key takes 4 hours or so with specific steps to be performed at certain intervals. Miss a step or do it too late and you start over. Since my dealer could not figure out how to program a spare key without the diagnostic tool, I can see where replacing the ECU is easier for him.

The locks can be re-keyed by a competent locksmith for a lot less than $1600. Depending on your location, it should be more like $100 per door or less and slightly more for the ignition.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

In summary, the original poster has no security against the fob thief until the ECU is reprogrammed or replaced. Replacing the fobs and changing the mechanical locks will not solve that problem.

Reply to
richard schumacher

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. If your car gets stolen, let your auto insurance company worry about it. Chances are, it will cost you less if your car is stolen than it will to replace the keys and fobs.

Reply to
Shawn Hirn