Report suggests taxing hybrid cars

Disgusting. Borrow 300 billion from China to invade Iraq and then tax people for conserving oil. I can't make any sense of it.

Reply to
Bill

Thats sad I am getting A 2006 prius at the end of month and I thought I could dogde the bullet but I gues they got us at all angles , There should be somthing done about this it seams every day we are losing the right to be free and have choices to do with are money as we please because it is given to us and taken away but thats where things are going today if we do not serve the oil god like all the rich do then we get involved anyways with no choice in the matter hope thing don't go to south thanks for speaking up Michael C. Dengler!

Reply to
michael_dengler

It shouldn't be any surprise that the subject has come up again. IIRC, Oregon (?) was looking at it earlier and may still be looking at it.

The basic problem is that fuel taxes were used as a way of financing road maintenance in the first place. The two are loosely related, and that was deemed good enough by the legislators of old looking for a source of revenue... it got them the revenue stream they wanted. It was Miller time! What is being suggested now is a familiar situation to computer programmers - the underlying structure is awry and any attempt to fix the new problem without fixing the structure (the tax structure in this case) is doomed to make the problem worse.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Michael Pardee wrote:

Hi this is Michael C. Dengler agian ,What you say is so true and it is disgusting how the government handles are "Taxes" if they wood only budget there money as people budget there money to handle house payments and car payments ect. and live within there means so that we wood not have to carry the burden and pain of not living free of losing A lot of money because the goverment cannot mannage it right they should learn to budget like the rest of us and not have a endless pit of are money to pull from and when the run out they shrip us of are right to live by makeing us poor by taxing the hell out of us I sincerly hope they do not do this they say on the news that they are thinking that they wood like to charge everyone 60 cents A mile driven every year so that they can build there roads and have A longer conpain for hybrids because they do not use A lot of gas that scares me with the 2006 prius i'm am buying so what the hybrid does not pay A lot of tax due to the amount of gas used I do not think people should be punished for saving the enviroment but rewarded buy not pay a lot of money for gas and that means they will not pay A lot of tax but they do save the enviroment and saving money on gas should be there reward for that car and the car cost A little more than other cars so people of the the united states of america should have choice but the goverment makes it harder on us so it is easier on them they where put in office buy us so they should work for us but it seems the other way around they just should do there best to do there jobs and budget money instead of wasting it if thats what we pay them to do so they should do it or either do there best by us or do not get reelected thats what I thinks thanks Michael C. Dengler

Reply to
michael_dengler

Yeah - I believe that it can't be serious, but I'm gonna ask you guys, and any one else that's angry about it to send a short e-mail to your congressmen letting them know how you feel about it. Taxing people for trying to help save energy is insane!

Reply to
tklegal

Yes it is, but nothing makes much sense these days. Why haven't the speed limits been rolled-back? What happened to fuel efficiency requirements for SUVs? I think the bottom line is this: There is a buck to be made on every barrel of oil refined.

Reply to
Bill

> Well, needless to say, I don't like that idea. Why don't they tax the really heavy cars more first before they go after folks who are actually trying to use less resources?

Reply to
Jean B.

Well, needless to say, I don't like that idea. Why don't they tax the > really heavy cars more first before they go after folks who are actually > trying to use less resources?>

Were it up to me, I'd add a buck to every gallon of gas an use those billions to fund the search for alternatives. That would have the positive side effect of encouraging conservation.

Reply to
Bill

That's the best alternative I've heard yet in terms of apportioning the cost of road maintenance: a surtax on licensing based on vehicle GVWR.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

yes this is Michael C. Dengler I will e-mail to my congressmen and write letter to him too we need to stop this before they do it it will also efect people who drive normal cars but it will last longer for hybrid cars that what the news said if they where to do it instead of thinking of it we have a chance to turn it around lets come together and talk to are congressmen and make it known that this is not what we whant they might be able to help us Mike.

Reply to
michael_dengler

Holy !@#$% !!! Wear did ewe learn to right???

Reply to