San Diego Pricing

Hello Everyone!

I recently went to my local Toyota dealsership to look at one of the 05 models. Unfortunately, I am not convinced that they want my business. I have talked with them on the phone numerous time gaining a commitment out of them that they would call me, to return my call with information. That never happened, they never called.

In fact, when I went in, and talked with a sales rep. he told me that the

05's are "usually" priced 2 - 3 thousand over MSRP. he said that there is a 18 month waiting list. And that he would put my name on a list. (which I doubt).

Today, I was on a www site that found the msrp and implies that they can procure one for a bargain

This is a cool site that provides you with a note to send to the dealers that tell them that since you can buy a car from carsdirect, you are prepaired to negotiate with them to purchase it locally.

Anyway. I used the letter and I got a nearly immediate response from one dealer that told me that the prius models are in very short supply, that they are generally priced above MSRP, local dealerships have requested additional stock, the wait was 9 - 12 months. yadda yadda yadda. I am getting discouraged. I my actuallly contact other local dealerships. But I am afraid that I am stuck on the wrong side of the supply/demand ratio. I am considering travellign to Orange County, LA, or even Arizona.

Does anyone have any feedback that could incorage me? I get the impression that others here have not had to wait 9-12 months to take delivery.

TIA!!!

-John

Reply to
John DeGrazia

Toyota of Tempe told me last week that they have sold out their waiting list, and have some unsold Priuses due in within a month. They told me last Spring that they sell at MSRP. But I bought my Prius in July (in Fresno), so I declined to order one from them.

You might want to check with Evan Schroeder at Michael Toyota in Fresno before checking with Toyota of Tempe in Arizona, though.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

My wife and I bought one in the Pasadena area the same day we decided to start shopping for a car. This particular dealership (Bob Smith Toyota in La Crescenta) does not take deposits so it's first come first serve and we happened to go on a day when one was available. We were forced to buy extended warranty and a $2500 package we really didn't want (lojack, copshop?, xilon?) but we heard the stories of $2500 to $5000 over msrp so we figured at least we're getting something for our money. Dealer told us that they had 5 prius's delivered two days earlier and this was the only one left. We love it!

Neil R

Reply to
Neil Rutman

Hi John,

I ordered a Prius in Fargo, ND on June 25, 2004. The dealer told me they were averaging one/month and that I would be #9 on their waiting list. The price was MSRP. Now, after waiting 4 months I'm #3 on the list. According to the dealer, they received two units in September and October as a result of Toyota's 50% production boost. He called to offer me the car that came in for the #1 person on the list because, due to an order snafu, it was a white 2005 with pkg. 4 and was supposed to be some other color. #2 had turned it down because it was white, as did I. I ordered black with pkg. 6 (formerly pkg. 9 for 2004) and the dealer said they had been notified that mine had moved into the production cycle and would arrive "as ordered" but I still didn't get a delivery date. I'm thinking late December or mid-January.

If anyone wants a white 2005 with pkg. 4 at MSRP, I suppose they could call Keven at Corwin Toyota in Fargo, ND tomorrow and maybe luck out.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

at least you can probably get an insurance discount with the LoJack.

I don't know how much you were forced to pay for the extended warranty, but chances are that you can probably still cancel it and get some money back (or at least cancel and get it somewhere else for cheaper). See

for more info.

Reply to
Michelle Vadeboncoeur

Production on the Prius is *way* up, waiting lists are getting shorter. I did wait 10 months, but the dealer told me the wait is now much shorter. I just paid MSRP, package 6. I have a friend that just bought one for MSRP in southern CA. I purchased mine in Port Angeles, WA. It helps if you buy package 6 as there's a lot of profit in it.

- Robert

Reply to
RZ