Tires

LOL - after driving with them last winter, if your driveway has *any* degree of slope, I'm not surprised. ;-P Thank goodness I have a flat driveway! (Otherwise, I wouold've done this tire search last December or January!)

so I

Yeah, TAK mentioned the Blizzaks, too.

That's a good deal if he'll switch them out for free each fall & spring. I assume that's because you purchased the extra set of rims?

Thanks for replying.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Thanks - yeah, after rdg. Al Falfa's reply, I realized I could maybe strike a deal with the place where I've always bought my tires.

Reply to
Cathy F.

I'd love to help you out here, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a winter tire, and I know I have never experienced winter.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hello

I have a 2007 Corolla. After a white knuckle experience while Christmas shopping, I committed myself to getting a dedicated set of snow tires for the following winter.

I did a lot of checking around for the "right" kind of tire too. I settled for Michelin X-Ice 2 for three reasons.

  1. Very good performance reviews.
  2. A good tire dealer who was also a Michelin warranty rep situated very nearby my home.
  3. The endless tire ads on TV.

I have no regrets -- the winter snow tires made a huge difference, but they are by no means perfect. I don't think that any winter snow tire could satisfy everyone's needs. Driving on glare ice in January is still extremely daunting; but going through snow is no problem.

When it comes time for another set of snow tires, I would seriously consider getting studded next time around. I have been watching reviews for General Altimax Winter Tires.( by Continental Tire )

The price/performance ratio is good, and they are also backed by a dealer close-by my home. They also accept studs.

Before buying my snow tires I asked around, and just like the responses to your post, there are many people who won't bother getting them. I've noticed that cars are getting so very expensive to repair now. A good set of winter snow tires is relatively cheap insurance when you spread the cost out over 5 years or so. Once you have them on, you wonder how you managed without them for so long.

Reply to
GM homepc

Fair enough. ;-)

Reply to
Cathy F.

My convertible is in the garage with the top down waiting for the rain to stop...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Rub it in somn more, why don't ya? ;-)

It's 35ºF here right now... but a brisk wind, so feels colder...

Reply to
Cathy F.

Sorry for gloating, but it's so good to be me.

I think we will hit 35 in a few more weeks, at 3 o'clock in the morning.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Driving on ice is a nightmare, no matter what tires one has. I just want ones that ar reliable in snow. And if possible, also very good in dry conditions. I know it's a trade-off: the best all-seasons are excellent in snow, but not superior. And the dedicated snows are excellent on dry roads, but not superior.

Although I liked driving with studded snows years ago, kind of want to stay away form this at this point.

Thank you for replying.

Cathy

Cathy F.

Reminds me the answer to a test question, " The frosty nights of October".

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

I've browsed through all of them - thanks for posting them all! - & some were pretty helpful. But... most, incl. the last, focused on LRR tires/getting the best MPG rather than handling in a variety of road conditions. Quote from the article of one of the links: "Every Prius comes from the factory with Low Rolling Resistance tires. They handle like crap but their job is to provide less resistance than a regular tire and in turn increase gas mileage." I love great mileage, but value safety/security even more. ;-)

Thanks. But... heh. To me, buying new tires is kind of like getting a new roof - necessary, but a pretty boring way to spend $$. ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Most will match Internet prices. Of course they're going to tack on installation, etc, just like they would if you bought tires you bought on the Internet to them.

BTW, I was a 1986 Corolla 5-door hatchback the other day, not 'new', but not in bad shape at all for this part of the country. Diesel...

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL - after driving with them last winter, if your driveway has *any* degree of slope, I'm not surprised. ;-P Thank goodness I have a flat driveway! (Otherwise, I wouold've done this tire search last December or January!)

so I

Yeah, TAK mentioned the Blizzaks, too.

That's a good deal if he'll switch them out for free each fall & spring. I assume that's because you purchased the extra set of rims?

Thanks for replying.

Cathy

It was a package deal. About $500.00 for the tires mounted/balanced on alloy wheels. The extra set of rims lets me get the full life out of the OEM's which, half worn, are useless on snow and ice.

Reply to
Al Falfa

Oh, definitely re: the installation.

Shades of my 5-door '84 liftback... ;-)

Reply to
Cathy F.

When it comes time for another set of snow tires, I would seriously consider getting studded next time around.

Check your local laws. They were outlawed in Minnesota after doing a few hundred million dollars of damage to our roads.

Reply to
Al Falfa

Last I knew, they're allowed here (NYS), but need to be put on after "x" date & taken off by "y" date. For that reason, I'd prefer avoiding studded snows.

Reply to
Cathy F.

You can only run them in Mass from November to April.

Reply to
Hachiroku

It passed me the other day at an intersection and I thought, "Hey, that's what Cath had!"

Funny, it was such a cool looking car back then, and now it looks so dated...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Cathy,

I don't have any recommendations on the specific tires you list, but my advice would be to go with dedicated snows. In my opinion, all-seasons do fine the first winter, but aren't much better than summer tires after that.

I've been running Nokian Hakkapeliitta R studless snows

949&group=1.01&name=Nokian%20Hakkapeliitta%20R)on my '07 touring for the past two winters here in New Jersey and they've been fantastic. They even got me home last winter after a surprise storm hit and dumped two feet before road crews could mobilize. Even with the Prius's low clearance, I still plowed my way through, passing, (but not daring to stop for and help) numerous cars and trucks stuck every which way. I did get stuck trying to get up my driveway though, as the drift came up over the hood. If I were looking to buy a new set of snows today, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set. My Prius is like a little tractor in the snow with these on. Good luck.

Bechi

Reply to
Bechi

That's correct. But, based on how much I like my Hakkapeliittas, I've started to consider possibly replacing my summer tires with the WRs. They have a great reputation.

Bechi

Reply to
Bechi