today's fillup

When I filled the tank today, I had 526 miles since the last fillup, according to the consumption screen. It also read 46.9 miles per gallon. That computes to 11.2 gallons consumed. The fill-up took

11.625 gallons.

I believe that the tank holds 11.9 gallons.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Fill your tank fast and don't diddle-daddle topping it off. Don't even bother rounding up to the nearest nickel. Do this a few times and see if the actual fuel consumed matches your graphic amount more closely. mark_

Reply to
mark digital

Why?

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

In order to get an accurate series of manual computations you must fill it to the last drop each time, otherwise the calculation will be affected by how far the nozzle was inserted, how sensitive the pump shut-off is and how relaxed the bladder is. That series will yield the delta value between actual and computed mileage. Once you have the delta value it is pointless to continue gathering data manually.

Reply to
Bill

OK, if you want to waste time, money and keep the filler cap off longer than necessary, go for it. Fast filling until it clicks off expands the bladder. Slow fills and rocking the car doesn't do anything other than make one look stupid and cheap.

Reply to
mark digital

Because you posted that there's a difference between actual and computer. If it didn't matter, then what was the point of your post?

Reply to
mark digital

I found when I first got my Prius in September '04 that slow fills give me more consistent results than fast ones.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

And I thought all those people were just gawking at my tinfoil hat!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

That's the reason you gave the advice, but doesn't answer the question of why I should fill up in the manner you suggested.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

From the NG posts it is clear that some people are curious as to the accuracy of their mileage number. Slow fills and rocking the car are a figment of your imagination. I simply provided a way for these people to determine the variance, nothing more.

Reply to
Bill

I'll explain why when you try it.

Reply to
mark digital

If you fill up at Wal-Mart it would take more than a tinfoil hat to stand out from the crowd. Much more.

Reply to
mark digital

That line makes the hair stand up on the back of my head (the only part of my head with hair!)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I'm not showing them my tinfoil underwear - I have standards, ya know.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I don't take advice, especially from people whose qualifications are not evident, without their giving me a cogent reason for the advice--and that goes double for those who are smarmy and arrogant.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Ok then don't do it. No skin off my nose.

Reply to
mark digital

It's clear?? Some guy who calls himself Michelle, who does a piss poor job at imitating a woman, posts a no-so-clear-as to-why comment about a lousy fill up and discrepancy, puts up a strawman, and you call that "some people"? I don't think so Bill.

Reply to
mark digital

First, you're incorrect in believing that only Michelle has ever posted on this topic.

Second, you're _way_ out of line with the rest of your post.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Michelle and I have had deep political disagreements on just about every subject known to man, but I have never had any hint from what she has written that she is anything but a fine, sincere and intelligent person. Please, no personal attacks against people who haven't earned them. As for attacking jerks (which may include me from time to time!) - you have my blessing ;-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I'll hang around as long as people don't behave like horse's asses. Michelle hasn't done that.

Reply to
Bill