Rover 820 front windows not working - please help!

Rover 820 front windows not working - please help!
I am having a problem with our Rover 820 (N/1996). It has front electric windows only.
The Electric windows will go down using the driver's armrest switch but will not go back up and close.
It is possible to bring the windows up by inserting the key into the door and turning and holding it there, until both windows rise.
However, yesterday the driver's side window stopped rising using this method of turning the key in the door and now it remains open and i have no way of pulling it back up.
I have checked the switch and cleaned it. I think something more than the switch is fault because even the 'key in the door method' does not work anymore with the driver's side window.
What do I do? Please offer your advice or any tips.
Simon Basi
basi snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
I have just suffered this. Rover admit a generic fault with the switch module in the door. I have an 820si and it was as if the thing was haunted. I changed the switch module 130 from rover, and it all worked.
Basically My windows would go down, and not come up, then all sorts of wierd electrical stuff started to happen. Interiour light coming on with main beam, inside lights comming on with indicators ...
My rover is a 1996 N plate too