218SD with fuel leak ..

Hi Folks,
I noticed a small patch of fluid under the front of my 93 218SD (170k) today and a sniff of it told me it was diesel.
I'm not exactly sure where it's coming from but an RAC bloke parked
nearby suggested a 'weak point' (on an otherwise reasonable car / engine) was the fuel pump bearing / seal failing and hence a fuel leak? He also suggested that there wasn't much could be done to 'repair' the leaky component and a a re-con pump would be something around £300 (4 x what I paid for the car).
So, could anyone suggest where I should start re fault finding please (to save me looking / cleaning bits that were unlikely to be the fault).
All the best ..
T i m
One of the more common places where I've seen these engines leak is from the fuel injector 'leak off' pipes. These are short pieces of black rubber hose that join each (4 of) fuel injector to the next to allow excess fuel to be used for lubrication purposes or to just return to the system. These pipes perish with age and mileage so as yours is 10 years old and 170000 miles I'd check these. Hope this helps, Al
--
In message < snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com>, T i m
< snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com> writes

[T] Ok .. I'd have to remove the inlet manifold to see these (easily) right?
These pipes perish with age and mileage so as yours is 10 years

[T] Are these just cut from a length of a suitable diameter hose and clips etc or are they a more fancy 'moulded' part Al?

[T] Thanks for your help Al ..
T i m

---No, you'll see them without removing the manifold, might need a torch.

---They are just a basic piece of rubber hose (fuel resistant stuff obviously...) they are not even held on by clips, they are just a (tight) push-fit. If I remember rightly they are 1/4" internal diameter, but you'd best check for yourself (it's been a while since I worked for Rover).

---No worries.

--
Al

Thanks again Al .. I'll check it out when I get a chance ..
T i m