4i4Si engine woes

Hi all, I've just aquired a 96 'N' reg 414Si, 65,000 miles, with some engine issues:

coolant loss - rapid, topping up every 3 days. coolant is clean & clear.

oil needed changing, so I put in a flush & changed it. no coolant getting in, oil looks fine, was dark but ok (no mayo) before. there's an oil leak somewhere as the lower engine areas are oily, but no noticable drop in oil level (yet - 1 week)

engine sounds very rough on startup, like a tractor, sounds a bit better when warm but still not a very sweet sound. getting 350 miles to a tank tho.

red goo around head gasket, so looks like a gasket job has been done. as oil & coolant aren't meeting each other, does this point to inlet manifold gasket failure, rather than head gasket?

there's also occasional steam from the exhaust.

engine seems to pull ok.

should I take it to a rover dealer and suggest the inlet manifold gasket?

many thanks, Jamie

Reply to
Work Hard

|| Hi all, || I've just aquired a 96 'N' reg 414Si, 65,000 miles, with some engine || issues: || || coolant loss - rapid, topping up every 3 days. coolant is clean & || clear. || || oil needed changing, so I put in a flush & changed it. no coolant || getting in, oil looks fine, was dark but ok (no mayo) before. || there's an oil leak somewhere as the lower engine areas are oily, || but no noticable drop in oil level (yet - 1 week) || || engine sounds very rough on startup, like a tractor, sounds a bit || better when warm but still not a very sweet sound. getting 350 miles || to a tank tho. || || red goo around head gasket, so looks like a gasket job has been || done. as oil & coolant aren't meeting each other, does this point to || inlet manifold gasket failure, rather than head gasket? || there's also occasional steam from the exhaust. | engine seems to pull ok. || should I take it to a rover dealer and suggest the inlet manifold || gasket? || || many thanks, || Jamie

If there is no noticeable loss of coolant like hose or radiator I would suspect the head gasket (for red goo read hermatite which you should not need to use when replacing a gasket!! unless.......) I just bought a diesel 418 turbo tourer, the head gaskit was f**ked when I got it , losing water at a great rate ,but no evidence of any in the oil. gasket gone between combustion chamber and water jacket, now fixed head pressure checked, skimmed new gasket and running well (also timing done, too far advanced which in a diesel is a no no)

Give the car a run, let it cool and open the radiator cap, there should be no pressure behind it when the engine is cold, any significant pressure points towards the head gasket.

Let me be the cynic and suggest the last person to sell the car did so because the gasket had gone... they probably just replaced the gasket without getting the head checked and skimmed. hence the red goo, sorry probably not what you wanted to hear..

Des

Reply to
Des

Hi Des et al, many thanks for your input - I did get the car v. cheap & so you're probably right about the H. gasket. I'll do that radiator test tomorrow & report. If the head does need skimming, what would a Rover dealer charge for that would you say? Basically, if this car costs me another £400 to put right I'm still happy with the deal. TIA, Jamie

Des k>

Reply to
Work Hard

Slight update if anyone's interested or has a similar problem - I couldn't actualy find the radiator cap (ahem) to check for pressure, but I can report that after a run followed by an hour or so to cool, there's no release of pressure when I remove the coolant filler cap, if that's of any import.. Also the coolant loss seems to be over time, rather than over driving, i.e. I drove for about 4 hours yesterday and there was little loss from the day before, as I'd topped it up the previous morning. Car wasn't easy to start this morning though, could this be related to head gasket / compression issues? Bear in mind I've just fitted new spark plugs. Any comments or observations greatly appreciated. Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Fisher

'scuse me butting in .....

Sounds like a combination of problems..coolant loss and starting, from what you say, I dont think they are connected at least not directly...

Coolant, sounds like a very small hole in either radiator or hoses - suggest Radweld or similar - put into expansion tank when warm (not hot!!) and drive round for a few mins.

Starting, could this be damp from the leak??

As i say, scuse me for butting in, I'll go and hide behind my little rock now....

DazedandC>Slight update if anyone's interested or has a similar problem - I couldn't

Reply to
daverees

Hi, I would definitely change the inlet manifold gasket, it's a simple job so you've got nothing to lose and all to gain. I made the same mistake with my

214Si and found the faulty gasket/seal when the head was on the bench!!

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

Seconded. The water on mine was coming around to the left- front of the engine and looked exactly like the head-gasket. I wonder just how many have been changed unnecessarily !

E-mail address, hopefully self-explanatory Andy Pandy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Many thanks for input, as it happens I did pop some RadWeld (Halfords equivalent actually..) in today, will report on progress. Re: starting problem, I think maybe the engine need some tlc / tuning (can you tune injected engines..?) as it's pretty rough sounding until warm. Could also certainly be damp from the leak, I'll keep you posted. Thanks again, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Fisher

Sounds like good advice, I've got a Haynes manual so will look into doing this - it seems that they're known to go so replacing's probably a good idea anyway. Many thanks, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Fisher

thanks Andy, this job may test my skills but it certainly sounds like a good idea. Best, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Fisher

I think the ign coil is under the manifold and gets water leaked all over it

Reply to
techspeed

snip

|| I would definitely change the inlet manifold gasket, it's a simple || job so you've got nothing to lose and all to gain. I made the same || mistake with my 214Si and found the faulty gasket/seal when the head || was on the bench!! || || Jimbo Thats good advice.. I have had a head off before to find out it was the thermostat! To be honest we all do it, if you hope its the simplest thing it never is, and if you strip the bloody thing right down it is allways the 10p part that eould have taken seconds to change! Tell us how

Des

Reply to
Des

i've got a similar problem on my 416 si .what looks like coolant is just under the injector rail plastic,loses about half a pint every week or two and is rough to start,but it has never overheated.i suspected a head gasket and have just got the bits to do it this weekend.reading about it seems that the inlet may be prone to leaking so i am going to take this off first and will let you know what i find...........ANYTHING BUT THE DREADED HEAD GASKET

Reply to
catkin

sorted it today it was the inlet manifold gasket. rubber had gone hard and was letting water into inlet ,runs a lot better now and dosn't leak

Reply to
catkin