Alternator cover

My none-too-careful mechanic replaced the alternator on my Rover Metro 96. The old one had a plastic protective plate.

I've never seen one of these on an alternator before, but for some reason Rover thought it necessary.

The mechanic said it didn't fit the new alternator, but I'm pretty sure they were exactly the same. I think perhaps he forgot to put it back. He said it wasn't needed anyway.

Is it necessary?

Has anyone replaced a Rover Metro alternator and found this plate doesn't fit on the replacement?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Garland