mg k series head gasket

My mate has just told me after having the head gasket replaced at 60k miles that at 80k miles its gone again. This is the 1.8 MG K series engine. I think it was about N or M reg. I have never known him to use more than about

3500rpm on this engine even when he is showing off as to how sporty he reckons it is!

Since I am aware that this engine and gasket is a major problem I wondered whether there is a replacement proper gasket that after skimming the head a little to make up for the loss of compression and height of belts etc.with a thicker proper gasket there is one available. If there isn't is there a market out there for me to get some responses to go get one made to sort this problem out?

Any comment or help would be welcome.

Paul

Reply to
pdp

there is LOADS of info on this problem on the web, start at

Bob

Ask the guru's over on the Forums at

Basically the replacement fitted may have been the old type with plastic dowels. New HG kits use steel (as the original Rover design did before BMW did some dubious cost cutting) which fixes the problem. Generally early K-series lumps never suffer HGF as they have the original spec HG & steel dowels, so it affects cars built during BMW's ownership of Rover.

Reply to
Andrew Murray