Minimising risk of head gasket failure?

Hello all, I've just purchased a '96 416i because it was too good a bargain to turn down! I'm going to get the head-gasket done as a precaution but what's the best way to minimise a failure? What are the warning signs (if there are any) that are peculiar to this engine? On other engines, I've heard of people fitting two gaskets. Anyone tried this?

TIA, Del.

Reply to
Del

There were a lot of postings about this last year.

Apparently Rover dealers have a vacuum device to suck out the air bubbles after refilling with antifreeze. My advice is to change the coolant at least every 2 years and get the Rover ( NOT Land Rover) dealer to do it.

I expect you'll get postings telling you otherwise?

Good luck

Ken

2003 R75 CDTi Auto 2000 R25 Steptronic
Reply to
Ken Forrest

The evacuation device is used before adding antifreeze and water. Best results are achieved with the system completely drained. It's not just Rover who have them; many garages do, including myself.

Reply to
malc

If the head gasket isn't leaking, then only a loon would get it changed !

Leave it alone !

The headgasket usually goes when the engine overheats. Keep an eagle eye on the temp guage at all times, and check the coolant every weekend. If anything changes, then DON'T drive it until it's sorted.

Same as every other engine. White smoke if it's leaking water into the combustion chamber, blue smoke if it's leaking oil into the combustion chamber, mayo in oil filler if it's leaking water into oil, and a physical leak if it's leaking oil/water outside of the engine - these will all be coupled with a drop in the fluid level obviously.

Reply to
Nom

|| Del wrote: ||| Hello all, ||| I've just purchased a '96 416i because it was too good a bargain to ||| turn down! ||| I'm going to get the head-gasket done as a precaution || || If the head gasket isn't leaking, then only a loon would get it || changed ! || || Leave it alone ! || ||| but what's the ||| best way to minimise a failure? || || The headgasket usually goes when the engine overheats. Keep an eagle || eye on the temp guage at all times, and check the coolant every || weekend. If anything changes, then DON'T drive it until it's sorted. || ||| What are the warning signs (if there are any) that are peculiar to ||| this engine? || || Same as every other engine. White smoke if it's leaking water into || the combustion chamber, blue smoke if it's leaking oil into the || combustion chamber, mayo in oil filler if it's leaking water into || oil, and a physical leak if it's leaking oil/water outside of the || engine - these will all be coupled with a drop in the fluid level || obviously.

I agree 'if it aint broke don't fix it!'

More important change the Radiator, they lose their efficiency over a period of time due to deposits inside, fins coming loose, etc., you may not be losing water but the engine is being put under more stress especially when its being worked at high speed on moterways or in traffic especially on a hot day. The other thing to check is the radiator fan is coming on, it is not unknown for the thermostatic fan switch on the radiator to fail. you may not notice it on local (short) journeys. Cars that have been driven all winter with no problem, first hot day in traffic and they are on the back of a breakdown truck!!

Des

Reply to
Des

Malc

I stand corrected!

ken

Reply to
Ken Forrest

No problem, Ken. I bought one because I once spent 3 days trying to get the air out of a Rover, but all to no avail, It took less than 2 minutes using the Radkit plus (Snap on) to bleed the system. It really is an amazing tool.

Reply to
malc

Reply to
Arthur Rees

I bought my from Snap on dealer, however I guess Mac and Britool will also market them.

Reply to
malc