redundancy payments

The payments, averaging £5,000 per worker, have been speeded up to help those

hit by the crisis.

Why have the X workers got a cash crisis? I thought they got 12 weeks pay. Have they spent it already?

Reply to
London

On 03/05/2005 01:27:39, in alt.autos.rover, snipped-for-privacy@am2ma.eu licked his/her/their pencil and scribbled in message

hit by the crisis.

How can the workers have spent 12 weeks pay when they havent got it yet?

The £5000 average payout is the 12 weeks money.

And not all workers get 12 weeks wages. How much they get depends in length of service. So some might get less than £5000. Some might get more than £5000. I guess the word 'averaging' was the clue there.

Reply to
M Pitt

its 1 week for every years service upto a maximum of 12 weeks and its not a full weeks pay either somethin like £240 maximum cant remember the exact figure.

Reply to
mavy

How does 12 times £240 = an average £5000?

Reply to
London

On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:28:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@am2ma.eu assembled some one and zeroes in mesage id :

Ask the person who said 'The payments, averaging £5,000 per worker, have been speeded up to help those hit by the crisis.'

Maybe the workers are not getting the minimum redundancy payments. Or the figures that make up the average might include something else other than redundancy payments. Or maybe just maybe the money being paid out is what is owed to the workforce.

Reply to
M.Pitt

What are they owed? The tax payer gave them wages upto date - cost £6,500,000.00.

Reply to
London

On Wed, 04 May 2005 09:56:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@am2ma.eu assembled some one and zeroes in mesage id :

You are woefully ill informed.

Reply to
M.Pitt

In what way? I suppose you could say i was wrong about the wages as they got it for staying at home watching TV.

Reply to
London

You sir, are truly a moron.

The £6.5M that was given to MGR by HMG was for paying suppliers etc as well - it was for one week's running costs for the whole of MGR, not just the wages of the people you enjoy denigrating so much.

Reply to
BTConnect

What supplies did they need to pay to allow them not to work? Note - as soon as they got back from this weeks hols most of them were dismissed. If some did go to suppliers - how did they decide who to pay because they have not all been paid? There were a few cars finished the following week - but those were finished with the parts they had to hand. I do accept a very small sum MAY have been used for some thing other than wages .

It would be far better if the people, who are for tax payers money being spent on this bottomless pit,explained their point of view without recourse to name calling. This type of reply suggests you have run out of logical argument.

Reply to
London

Do you get some sort of sick satisfaction out of kicking Rover and their workforce into the ground? When bandying about these notional figures claiming to show how much money has been "gobbled up" by Rover over the years you fail to have seen the positive contribution made by many thousands of workers to both the exchequer (to pay your Civil Service wages and perks) in personal taxes and VAT and to the local and national service economies. Add to this the contribution made by each Rover "preventing" an import and a normal person (though I somehow doubt you) can easily see that 20,000 extra dole payments (plus housing benefits etc), 20,000 less lots of income tax coming in means the Government were right to "prop-up" Rover, even after 20 years of successive asset stripping. And that's just the ECONOMIC argument.

So get real, do something useful and SUPPORT Britain and its industry. We can't all sell burgers to each other.

Reply to
Philip Jackson

On 04/05/2005 14:37:14, in alt.autos.rover, snipped-for-privacy@am2ma.eu licked his/her/their pencil and scribbled in message

In the way that your prejudices get in the way of the facts.

Reply to
M Pitt

So who will you be voting for?

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE, EVERYBODY.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I have to agree that each Rover car sold brought the government vat and other tax - but so does all the other cars sold. Closing Rover with not be a loss of this tax unless you think the people who would have purchased a Rover will stop driving. In other words they will buy a car possibly made in the Uk by Uk residents.I can see no loss of work or tax there. Now we come to the cost of dole etc. For there to be a loss you must presume the x employees are not wanting to work. We have been told many times in the last few days/weeks ,by Blair, that he has to bring in 100,000 workers per year plus their families because we have lots of work and no workers. Therefore these skilled Rover people should not be on the dole for more than a few days. Even Blair does not agree that Rover should be kept going. Those days are long since gone.

Please feel free to explain where you think my sums do not add up.

Reply to
London