Rover 214 (L) - Hot Re-starting problem..

Hi, My mother owns a 1994(L) Rover 214 which has developed a frequent problem after re-starting with a warm engine. She tells me that after it has been parked when hot and it is re-started, the car will drive for a short distance - less than 1/2 mile before the engine splutters and stops. If she waits for a short while, 5-10 minutes, she is able to start it again and continue the journey with no more problems.

The symptoms appear very similar to those I once suffered in an old 1.8L Ford Sierra which was diagnosed by the AA as a vapour lock and I fixed it by replacing the mechanical camshaft-driven fuel pump. On the Rover 214, the petrol pump is however in the fuel tank and is electric powered.

Does this problem seem like vapour-lock and if so, is there a common issue with this Model or Engine?

Would a replacement pump be the solution or is the problem likely to be under the hood (Fuel Injection etc..)?

Thanks in advance

Steve

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

Reply to
Steve Harvey

Crank position sensor?

Hellraiser.............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

first try is always a new rotor arm

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sounds the likely candidate, it will bring the car to a stop and can be a pain.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Mine's doing that to me. It'll start and run perfectly well for a few minutes and then finds an awkward place (e.g. traffic lights or roundabout) to cut out. I was wondering if it's an overheating coil or a choked-up fuel filter. It doesn't get hot enough to start the radiator fan. I've done the plugs and given it a new distributor cap but that hasn't cured it. It's got the K16 multi-point injection engine.

KeithC

Reply to
Keith Cunningham

Sounds yet again like the dreaded crankcase sensor failure.......!

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Would the engine temperature be the cause of temporary crankcase sensor failure?

KC

Reply to
Keith Cunningham

No, they just go slowly senile. I'd check the connector to it first as they also tend to corrode.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Reply to
starmann

replying to Bob, CJ wrote: Dear Bob

I have had exactly the same problem and also found cooling the engine down helped. Please could you send me the wiring for the external relay as I'm taking the car to the garage again in the next few days and it would be useful to give it to them.

Very many thanks

cJ

Many thanks

Reply to
CJ

Ten years after the last message? Good luck.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+