Rover 220 diesel non starter

Hi :)

I have a problem with my rover 220 diesel, it wont start :)

If I turn the key usually nothing happens, every now and again you can hear the starter motor clunk, but it wont turn. I bought a haynes manual for it and followed the diagnostic steps on that, but im not too sure of the outcome, one of the steps was remove the spade connector on the starter motor and check the voltage on the cable when the key was turned to start position, voltage read zero to earth but im not sure if that right/wrong or even if I did it correctly, the haynes manual says that this would mean a fault with the wiring rather than the starter motor, I have checked all the fuses and they are ok, I was going to check the starter relay but cant actually find its physical location under the bonnet, any help would be appreciated as you can probably tell I dont know an enormous amount about engines :)

I was also going to take off the starter motor and take it to my local auto electrician to get it checked out, but cant actually locate the bottom securing bolt, so a hint in its direction would be most helpfull :)

Thank you for any help you can provide and sorry to ask dumb questions :)

Paul Gray

Reply to
Paul Gray

You can identify if it's the starter motor/solenoid itself or the circuit driving it by applying +12V to the solenoid spade terminal*. If it then turns the engine over normally it's the circuit or relay at fault. If still the same then it's likely to be the starter motor unit.

The top bolt simply screws through the gearbox and into the adaptor plate behind. However the bottom bolt goes right through and has a nut on the other side (I removed mine last week). If you kneel on the front bumper with the bonnet up you should be able to feel the bolt head underneath the starter, though it's almost certain you'll need to remove the turbocharger-air cleaner pipe to get access to it!

Darren

  • Use a length of wire the same thickness as the one already connected to the spade terminal. Fit a 10A fuse to one end of the cable just in case you short it out. Connect the fused end to the battery + terminal and touch the other end to the spade terminal of the starter.
Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Thanks bigtime :) will give it a go tomorrow, just hope its not so cold :)

Reply to
Paul Gray