Rover 45 2ltr td loss of oil pressure to head

rebuilt head after cam belt snap, ran fine for 2-3 days then lost power, stopped, wouldn't start, again sounded like a snapped belt when cranking, timing fine (both ends) no compression, hydraulics have lost all thier oil and closed, took top off and no oil is getting up there, took oil switch out and cranked over, oil there ok. need to know what route oil takes to head and what could coulbe blocking it. my own theory was a bit of gasket or silcon had gone down a drain hole but it wouldn't get past the strainer or filter to get back up. is there any thing else on route from the filter up? tia

Reply to
sapper

"> rebuilt head after cam belt snap, ran fine for 2-3 days then lost power,

Same engine is fitted to the 620 and 420/220 diesel models. The Haynes manual doesn't give any diagrams for the lubrication system but describes that from the filter it enters the oil galleries in the engine block and is distributed from there to the main bearings and big ends (via the crankshaft), and under pressure to the head.

It may be that you've got something such as silicon blocking the feed hole to the head, but I would imagine the hole is going to be about 1/2" diameter so it'd be a fairly big piece to do so. It is possible that the gasket is not fitted correctly (or not formed correctly when made) and so capping off the oil supply to the head. Either way, I think you'll need to remove the head again to fix it, and I hope that the camshaft and bearings haven't been damaged either otherwise it'll mean a new head!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Reply to