YJ to Rock Crawler: The Continuing Saga

Last night I bent and plumbed the rear brake lines on my Pro Rock 60 axle. In installing the shocks, there was interference with a metal cover on the drivers' side (protects the brake booster?) so I removed the cover and cut a semi-circle in it for clearance.

With the Spring Over/ 2.5" Lift spring/Teraflex shackle setup I have, I'm looking at 7 inches of travel, from full extension to at-rest, empty vehicle load. I figure another 3 inches for compression under load and shock compression.

However, it looks like, in compression, my fender wells will be bumping my 37" SuperSwampers. I would like to even it out more, and possibly kluge up an air spring/ bump stop setup. I would be looking for a more lifted "normal" height, maybe split 6 inches extension/4 inches compression. Any thoughts?

Also the stock right side e-brake cable was long enough, but the left side wasn't, so I fabbed up a 12" long cable extension, using 5/8" electrical conduit as a housing, and custom-machined brass ends on the aircraft cable. These were affixed using a solder pot. The new extension fits tight over the old housing and bolts to the hole where the old housing went.

Also, when I installed the JB Conversions SYE kit, and had put the silicone on and the front/back case parts together, there was binding in the shaft. Wierd, I thought. After the bell housing went on, and I torqued down the rear output yoke, I heard a SNAP that was NOT the torque wrench! All of a sudden, the shaft spun very freely. Aaaaaaaaaah!

I knew I'd busted something but didn't know what. I decided to wait a day for the silicone to harden up, then open it up again. What I'd done was mis-aligned the "ears" on the "oil pump" disk, and the cast aluminum tabs had all snapped off. So I had to fabricate replacement tabs from .200" thick 6061 Aluminum. Drilled, tapped, and held on by Loc-Tited

8-32 stainless button head screws, the new tabs did the trick. I checked meticulously for proper alignment, listened closely while closing the case, and things went (finally) smoothly back together again.

I still have to install/plumb/route the ARB compressor, tank, solenoid valves, and lines. Where do you guys mount your ARB compressor to keep it high and dry? I'm thinking of removing the scissor jack and putting it there, or else inside on top of the left rear wheelwell.

I haven't even started on the front axle.

So! How was YOUR weekend?

Reply to
Cal Wheeler
*snip*

I was busy screwing up a header install. :-)

Dave

David C. Moller

Excellent! Did ya fix it so ya can't fix it?

Reply to
Cal Wheeler

Hehehehe naw, we seem to have recovered.... only time will tell. :-)

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller