Rover 45 Help !

Can anyone tell me how to replace the back light bulb on the clock of a 2001 Rover 45. I've looked in the hand book but it doesn't give any help. Regards Lyn

Reply to
LYN

Lyn,

I did this job about 3 weeks ago on my 2000 Rover 45.

1) Remove radio. Best not to disconnect it, just let it dangle. Method - Open the two very small flaps on each side of the radio. With the correct socket driver, I think it was an S1, turn the two screws anti-clockwise. The mechanism behind the screw means you actually have to turn the screws for a fair distance. The locking plate, behind these screws have to move about 1 ins. The radio should then pull out. Don't disconnect it!! (OK to disconnect the arial). 2) With your hand in the radio hole, push out the hazard switch, and the heated rear screen switch. Disconnect the power to both. (This step was not totaly necessary, but a very easy job which will give you more room, and light. 3) Remove the clock. This bit stumped me for a while. If you look up inside the radio hole, up onto the back of the clock, you will see where the joint is. One is black, the other is white. Seperating them, through the radio hole took some manouvering, at first. But very easy once you find the correct method. The clock slides into the housing on 4 tapers, and locks into position. What you need to do is slide a very small screwdriver along where the locking taper is. The clock will very easily be freed that way. The clock can then be removed through the radio hole. Disconnet to power lead. (Very delicate ribbon cable). 4) The very small bulb is twisted off the printed circuit (my builb was OK, it was just a bad connection!!). 5) Replace everything in the reverse order. Re-assembly took about 5 Mins.

I was 18 months in the planning of this job!!! I bought, what I thought was radio removing tools, non of which where necessary. I reckon the next time I do this, the whole operation would take about 15 mins. (Rover suggest removing the whole of the centre console!!!!!!!).

Reply to
Phil Cobham

Thanks Phil, looks like this is my job for the weekend, I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again Lyn

Reply to
LYN