Ultra Low Sulphur Unleaded

Hi,

Rover 827si auto 1990....

I have noticed over the months since filling up with 'Ultra Low Sulphur unleaded' you get at the service station's now, my performance has dropped and getting less MPG.... From 250ish miles a tank to around 180ish a tank, (town)

Is there something wrong with the fuel, as I have just come back from France on a 2 week holiday and the car was transformed... Performance back up as well as economy? Are they using a different 'Unleaded'?

Your views please, as to keep performance and economy up I'm now putting in 'Super Plus Unleaded' at extra expense?

Maybe some conspiracy to fill up more?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Reed

This sort of thing has been noted for quite a long time amongst diesel drivers. French fuel has a higher than normal sulphur content compared to the UK equivalent and is better for the car as it minimises wear and tear on moving parts, especially the injector pump which for some reason wears out faster when running on low sulphur fuel. Mileage suffers as well, you get less bang for the buck with lsf compared to the french equivalent so overall mileage will be down as well. As I said, this has been prevalent with low sulphur diesel and now as suspected, drivers switching over to low sulphur unleaded are starting to notice the same thing. Nows the time to buy shares in oil companies, they are going to sell a lot more fuel in the long run.

I get the suspicious feeling that most cars designed during the days before lsf came out most likely had their ecu units tuned for the fuel of the day. It may be nothing more than an ecu adjustment in order to get the most out of whatever is going into the tank.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Welcome to the wierd and wacky world of politics!!!

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

No wonder everyone is moving abroad!!

Reply to
Stephen Reed

I know Paul, what can we do about it, we a are a small voice shouting into the wind?

Reply to
Stephen Reed

Sorry about the previous effort ! :-(

The problem is suggesting that one tick every five years represents democracy. It's a complete joke, but serves our useless politicans very well. Write to your MP.

My current hobby-horse is ' reasonable response ' to an intruder ! For Christ's sake, it is anger and adrenalin, which is nature's way of giving you the strength to defend yourself and your family !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Coleman

I know, but your not aloud!

Reply to
Stephen Reed
< SNIP>

Well, Rovers so rarely go wrong !!!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Coleman

Good answer!

Would be a better one if my Rover was working ok!!!!

Dave Rees

Try putting Super Plus instead of ULS Unleaded? Worked for me!!

Reply to
Stephen Reed

Ok with new cars that will be designed for this sulphur free unleaded. What about the older cars that was not designed for? Have we all got to go and get a new one?

Reply to
Stephen Reed

just try a tank full of red and u will notice the differance in power and mpg my old 218sld used to do about 520 miles to a tank full of red and go like a bat out of hell. but if you do dont get caught! it also costs! as i found out :-)

Reply to
C+ J F