sulphur content

Anyone got any idea what the sulphur content is in typical UK diesel?

the service schedule for the DII TD5 says "if used on diesel with sulphur content over 1%, oil change interval must be reduced to 6000 miles".

otherwise, it's 12000.

Mind, not a great fan of 12000 mile oil changes anyway. But oil changes cost money, so there's no percentage in doing TOO many.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" wrote

I don't know the exact limit (and I cant' be arsed to search right now tbh), but 1% is immensely higher than any EU-norm automotive diesel, where sulphur content is measured in ppm (parts per million).

Geo

Reply to
Geo

In message , Geo writes

A quick gwgl turned up a spec for ultra-low-sulphur diesel with sulphur content at 0.001% or less. I believe that ULSD is pretty much the norm in the UK these days.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Uk is major user of City Diesel and standard City Diesel has a sulphur content is 0.005%

Reply to
Richard

But I always thought the lower the sulphur content the higher the engine wear.

Reply to
Richard

Maybe but what about the sulphur reacting with the oil and degrading it?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't worry about it. The nasty stuff they put in it to try to overcome the first problem will also help degrade the oil ... :-)

Reply to
AJG

On or around Wed, 3 Jun 2009 18:00:04 +0100, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

I'm just going by what the book says. I imagine excessive sulphur makes acidic contamination in the oil or something.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin,

I've done 12000 miles services my 2000 DII and it just done over 150K and uses alsmost no oil.

regards

nemo2

Reply to
nemo2

On or around Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:35:36 +0100, nemo2 enlightened us thusly:

Mine seems to have a small appetite for coolant. It's running fine, not showing nay other symptoms, no signs of water in the oil, and so on. Just needs the coolant topping up every now and then. Chances are it's a slow leak somewhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It *will* be the top hose connection on the rad austin, they all go like that. There's a modded rad & pressure reducer kit.

Reply to
Nige

On or around Tue, 9 Jun 2009 17:21:09 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

on the rad itself? I'll have a look. pressure reducer is presumably just a different filler cap :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I was talking to "That lot at Darwen " yesterday

Reply to
DieSea

Oooops sorry pressed the send button to soon

To continue

My water pump on a TDI 300 failed while was up in Scotland a week or so back and after a bill approaching £200 for a replacement my query was are there any known issues

Their reply was , the only known problem is the water pump gasket that weeps

The heat dries it up and soon as there is no indication that there is loss of water you have a problem

My original water pump lasted 14 months and 23k miles and cost me less than £60.00 which included new belt , new water pump , new tensioner pulley and labour

I know the lad that looks after my Disco he's looked after my bangers for the last

15 years or more , he doesn't RIP me off

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

Austin,

There is a known problem with the radiator!! Facing the engine compartment, they tend to leak from the bottom left hand side. Radweld fixed the problemt for me.

There was also a mod to the top pipe which was to add a clip to stop it rubbing against the flange on a air conditioning pipe (about half way down the radiator). This was a bastard as mine lost all its coolant, but the garage couldn't find the leak.

As Nige mentions the top pipe can also fail, but they tend to be quite noticable when they fail.

regarsd

nemo2

Reply to
nemo2

On or around Thu, 11 Jun 2009 23:07:19 +0100, "DieSea" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, had that with the "P" gasket on a TDi too. However, this is on a TD5 can't actually see anything on the rad, but only a had a quick look while I was doing somethign esle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Austin

Some one mentioned previously about RadSeal

I wonder if adding it as a precaution is better than a cure

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

On or around Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:16:17 +0100, "DieSea" enlightened us thusly:

message

yeah, I was thinking it'd not hurt to bung a bottle of Barrs into it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles