Ultra-low sulfur in TDI

Many stations are now carrying ultra-low sulfur. I have heard different things about this. For one it will harm current diesel engines. I have a

2004 TDI. Is what I heard true? Do I need to run additives to prevent damage to the engine?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Jim Behning

The short answer is no.

It is true that the process used to remove the sulfur also removes some of the lubricating properties of the fuel, the oil companies have formulated the current diesel to provide the needed lube and will continue to do so with the new stuff. It should be noted that the US is very late in the game in ULSD and the rest of the world has had it for years and no problems have been reported.

The diesel community in the US tends to be extremist and sometimes over react. In real life, don't worry. However if it makes you feel good to add an approved additive, go ahead. It will not hurt, or in reality help. I do not plan to make any adjustment.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Joseph,

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I suppose this is true for my 2003 Dodge R3500 Cummins Dsl too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob