'01 9-5

I recently aquired a '01 9-5 v6 from a relative for a song. Looks great next to my other sweedish cars too. I don't know much about it but it feels like it has alot of untaped potential. It rides very smooth but doesn't provide alot of road feel back to the driver which is something I'm used to and would like more of. It also seems like alot more power could be produced by the v6 than currently is.

So - questions:

1) Pointers on suspension mods - progressive sport springs, firmer shocks, upgraded anti-sway bars? Poly bushings? Something about aero suspension upgrades?

2) Engine modification. What's going to get the most bang for the buck as a stage 1 modification? Are ECU reprograms or chips available? Matched performance exhaust sytems? Intake? More boost? Issues?

3) What vendors and/or enthusiast sites cater to saab owners? I'm very familiar with the volvo crowd but haven't had much luck turning up similar resources for the saab.

TIA, I hope I don't get flamed here or by the volvo folks for crossing over.

-K

Reply to
Kelsey Cummings

offers a 40hp upgrade for $1400 or so. Consists of chip, intake, and exhaust. As to the V6 not being a Saab engine, uh, Saab has bought in nearly every engine they have ever used. The 2-strokes were a carbon copy of a DKW design, then the FORD V4s, then the "slant 4" bought in from Triumph. That engine is more or less the direct ancestor of the current Saab 4 in the

9-5. Really Saab's expertise is in truly superb engine management systems, not mechanicals. Don't knock the 6 until you have tried it - it is far smoother and quieter than the 4. Quite a lot faster than the lpt4, and not as much slower than an Aero as you might think. In fact, since it has no discernable turbo lag it feels a whole lot stronger at low speeds than an automatic Aero. it is lacking the Aero's high end zoom though.

There is certainly nothing intrinsically wrong with having a timing belt instead of a chain. it is a maintenance item, no more, no less. As to the extra expense, talk to the various owners of 90's 2.3l Saabs that have had to cough up $1500+ to have worn timing chains replaced at relatively low mileages. And let's not even talk about the horrendous sludging issues with lpt4 9-5's in the States. And Saab pays for the first timing belt change at

60K miles anyway. Though it is smart to pay to have the tensioner done at the same time.

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine '00 9-5 SE V6t wagon

Reply to
Kevin Rhodes