01 9-5 Key Battery

Hi Everyone!

I just bought my first Saab yesterday --I am so happy! The previousl owner only had one key, and no manual.. I am being prompted to replace the key battery, and am wondering if any of you can tell me where I can purchase one, & how I might go about installing the battery? Or, do I need to go to a Saab mechanic or dealership for a key battery replacement? I am in Los Angeles, CA.

Thanks much, Amanda

Reply to
Amanda

nobody

What is the best way to open the key? I have the compact key fob all-in-one key. Thanks!

Reply to
Amanda

If it's the one with the buttons on the handle of the key, then you have to push a jewelers screwdriver into the little hole in the side to operate the catch whilst using a thin blade to lever open the back cover.

The battery is a CR1632, which Google will find you dozens of sellers for.

Once you've changed it, stand next to the car and press the unlock button at least four times to re-sync the car to the key.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

In message , Colin Stamp writes

Once you have done that buy another key and get it coded by your dealer as, if you loose your one key then you have to replace large chunks of the car security system (you need one working key to programme a new key) and that costs an eye watering amount in any currency.

Also, to check how many keys are coded to the security system press the boot/trunk release button on the key whilst it is in the ignition and the engine running, the SID will come up with how many remotes (the active radio bit that locks/unlocks the doors) and transponders (the passive bit talks to the security system when the key is in the ignition).

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair