My DI Cassette failure

Well it had to happen. At 93,000 miles my rear DI Cassette on my 2000 9-5 SE (v6) died. The scene: Started car in the parking lot of a Chinese restaurant. Car shook-misfires in 1,3,and 5-burning odor. Shut car off. Fortunately I was only 10 miles from the Saab dealership. The other DI cassette was already replaced by the previous owner. I feel a bit sad about this because the catalytic converter didn't burn up, thus depriving me of the total DI cassette experience...the cost, the down-time. A month earlier I replaced the battery..perhaps the full cranking power of a new battery helped finish off the rear cassette..I don't know. At least I feel like a true Saab owner now.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Sauer

I keep hearing about these di cassette failures and it sure makes me nervous. maybe I should purchase one and have it in my car just in case.

rod

Reply to
Rod H

This has been standard procedure among Saab connoisseurs since the DI cassette was introduced. Welcome to the club!

Reply to
th

The OTHER DI cassette!? There's more than one??

I feel a bit sad about this because the catalytic

th wrote:

Before you buy one, check with your dealer to see if your car is covered by their recall. My '02 9-5 Aero was covered, so it was a free replacement. Somehow I never got a notice of it.

From what I understand, this is not just a Saab problem. It seems DI cassettes on most/all makes are problematic.

Reply to
Gary Fritz

I can tell you that the 2000 9-5 SE v6 is not covered.

Reply to
Richard Sauer

sorry fellow saabers. if i was to buy one it would be just in case i saw one of my fellow saab drivers broke down on the side of the road. I have what i guess would be called in some areas a classic. 1985 900s. I beleive the mechanics tune these cars by ear.

rod

Reply to
Rod H

That's the only way to make sure it never happens to you... ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

Here's an interesting thought: If the car *is* covered by the recall (or service campaign, or whatever the call it) do you suppose the stealer would let you keep the old one on the off chance the new one ever fails? Sure, it may not last that long but at least it may get you home...

Reply to
Fred W

There is on a 6 cylinder such as the one in this discussion.

Reply to
Fred W

There was a recall to replace DI casettes at no charge to the customer in the U.S.A.

Reply to
news