1996 Saab 900S

We are looking for a first car for our 18-year-old son. A local used car lot has a 1996 900S with 108,000 miles. Our son really likes the car. I'm unfamiliar with Saabs. What sort of maintenance issues might I expect from this car? It has an automatic transmission. Also, the dealer is asking $5,800 for the car. I checked the NADA website and they appear to value the car at around $3,800. What is a realistic price for this vintage? I'm in Mississippi.

Thanks

Reply to
Bubba

First, give the dealer $3000 - $3500 for the car. If he won't let you have it for that price, there is nothing to worry about...

Second, if you get the car (no matter the price) be ready to pay a lot of money for repairs and especially for parts, that is, if they are available.

So, if you can get the car for say $3000 - $3500, don't worry about the second part :)

Reply to
Gordy

Thanks Gordy, Thats about what I was thinking, but its good to get confirmation. Another thing that makes me a tad nervous about this particular car, when I opened the trunk, there was obvious rust on the spare wheel. So there has been water in the trunk. There is also a musty smell in the trunk. Not so obvious in the front. Anyway, I strongly suspect the car has been in a flood. I think I'll pass on this one.

Thanks

Reply to
Bubba

More likely the trunk leaks. Common issue.

Reply to
still me

I have had one for 6 years. Its been a great car. The trunk leak is probably from the tail light assembly or the sun roof drain if you have one. Thats were mine was. Ive got almost 200k on mine and the only thing in six years (bought it used) that has gone wrong is the ignition switch and the serpentine belt idler pulley. ( not counting the speedo intermittent and sid problem those year sabbs had) but inspite of a couple "quirks" we love the car.

Reply to
NW Fungi