2000-2002 Saab 9-3 5-Door Reliability

I'm currently in the market for my first car, and my dad has tasked me with finding a vehicle that fits my needs, is affordable, and will last a long time. I've become interested in the hatchback design because I want to optomize the amount of space I have while at the same time keeping the car relatively small (after a year of driving my mother's GMC Yukon, I've grown to detest large vehicles).

From what I've seen, the model year 2000-2002 Saab 9-3s seem to be a

good choice--they have lots of space, preform well enough, and I can fit my 6'-2" frame inside without any problems. In fact, I've seen a few in my school's parking lot. The one issue that sticks in my craw, however, is reliability. I have read review after review saying that, though the owners loved their cars, they were frequently in the shop for expensive maintenence. The J.D. Power and Associates ratings on the subject cast a similar pall on things.

As whatever car I get will be my car for a long time, both I and my parents are primarily interested in getting one that will hold up for a good long time--say at minimum five years. As Saabs in general seem to have a poor reputation for reliablity (the first thing both my parents said when I told them about this model was "Is is reliable?"), my questions to you are this:

  1. Are they really as unreliable as they're made out to be?
  2. Do you think that one would make for a good first car?
  3. Is it possible to get a good warranty on a used one?
  4. What would be the most comprable model in another brand?
Reply to
bry.andrew.pike

JD Liars only applies to "initial build quality" - which translates to "how did you like your car in the first month you had it". Totally invalid statistically and otherwise. Consumer Reports is marginally better but still statistical nonsense.

Among the uninitiated. Most people just plain don't know much about Saabs.

No.

No. See below.

Saabs carry a 4 year 50K bumper to bumper warranty in the USA so look for one that was first sold about 3 years ago and has 38K miles if you want a year's worth of outstanding warranty coverage.

Quick rundown: you mentioned a hatchback - there are not many made. Saabs also have a huge cargo capacity. European cars (vs. Japanese) have a certain refinement. You can feel it when you drive them. Saabs are exceedingly safe and well engineered.

However, they are not as reliable as Japanese cars in my experience. They are also generally a little more costly to repair due to being less common (fewer mechanics, fewer parts sources - less competition means higher prices).

If you are young and buying a "first" car, I would buy something Japanese. First time buyers have enough to be concerned about and I would go with the most reliable car at the expense of some refinement that you won't care about at your age.

MHO,

Reply to
- Bob -

I have a Saab 9/3 viggen 2001 - european delivery. At 55k miles balancing chain broke demolishing timing chain cover and all chain guides. Independent mechanics and one of the Saab dealer estimate in Denver, CO ~$10,000. Car was run on fully synthetic oil Mobil 1 with less then 10k miles between changes. In 2005 Saab distributed a bulletin (not a recall) called 'Engine - Timing Chain Noise/Oil Sludging' that simply says that all Saab engines can demonstrate bad lubrication and wear of timing and/or balancing chains and tensioners that can lead to chain noise and eventually catastrophic failure. The test is to check the travel on the tensioners and replace the chains if it is too large.

Now if you want to go through things like that then go an buy a Saab....

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
pzi

6'-2" frame inside without any problems. In fact, I've seen a

I used to own a Saab 900S, my first Saab when I was 21. Later I had a

9000CSE and now a 9-5SE. The 900S is just a little older but looks quite the same as a 9-3. I've never had trouble with this one. Even when I failed to do the maintenance regularly (I was at least 30000km overdue), the engine never made a problem and when I sold it to the dealer to buy the 9000CSE, he just gave it its maintenance and sold it again right away. My 900S was not turbo charged so you can't get any turbo problems and those are expensive (my 9-5 is in the shop now for that very reason). My 9000CSE never had any turbo problems. All the Saabs that I've had, however, had problems with exhaust corrosion. Anyway, I drove my Saab 9000CSE for over 3 years without any serious problems, my 900S would not have been sold at all if someone had not scratched the hood from top to bottom. If I were you, I'd buy a 900S or 900SE not turbocharged. You'll have 136HP and it uses about 9 to 10L/100km max 11L/100km (about the same as the turbo charged versions). My first was a VW Golf II 1300cc, learned to drive with second was a 1991 bmw 520i, had accident with third again VW Golf II 1800cc, couldn't affoard more then by then I was 21 and bought my first Saab: 900S a year later I bought my 9000CSE and had an economic full option car (leather etc.) 3 years later, about 2 months ago, bought my 9-5 full option, I sure hope he'll last a long time :-p Please forgive my English, I'm Belgian so I speak/write Dutch normally.

Good luck with your Saab, I'm 25 now and wouldn't have any other car. PS, don't let the km's scare you. The 2000cc engine was built for about

225HP, the same engine in the 900S without turbo has 136HP, you cannot possibly hurt that engine! The LPT (light pressure tubo - like my 9000CSE and 9-5SE) has 150HP and a full turbo charged Saab 2000cc has about 185HP. Don't worry, your engine will last longer than your car will.
Reply to
Charly