1999 9-3 transmission woes

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I've had a so-called bushing failure near the driver's side splines of a manual transmission with 130,000 km (81,000 miles). Symptoms mimic a bad CV joint (vibration, lots of play). The mechanic said it was common (there was another '99 9-3 on the hoist with the same problem), and too costly to repair. I wound up with a used box (which, in retrospect, was probably a bad idea).

Is every 9-3 out there fitted with a wallet time bomb? It would partially explain why "off-lease" prices are so attractive.

Thanks for all info.

Mike McLean Montreal

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca

Reply to