2000 SE 9-3 90,000km(56,000mi) beware?

What should I beware of with a purchase of this car ? If maintained could I get an additional 200,000KM(125,000mi) out of this vehicle without paying an arm and a leg?

Reply to
Should I

Saabs are not cheap to keep, especially the GM models. The normal, required maintenance is not inexpensive, unless you are used to maintaining a BMW or Mercedes. I suspect that if you properly maintain the car you could easily get another 125,000 miles. Just remember parts wear out and AC systems are not cheap to fix. I would expect to have to do some work on the AC system while you own the car.

With all used car, you should ask for proof of scheduled ma> What should I beware of with a purchase of this car ? If maintained

Reply to
ma_twain

I own 2 1999 9-5 Saabs - a sedan that I've owned for 3 years and that has 150k miles, and a wagon I just bought that has 125k miles. Both are very comfortable, very nice cars to drive, and both run beautifully. I expect them to go at least to 250k miles.. The sedan has not, I feel, been more expensive than other cars I've owned. The SIDs often lose pixels, but there is a simple repair procedure on saabnet.com that prevents the need for replacement. But then, your car has probably had this issue addressed. I'd suggest using synthetic oil to protect the engine and turbo. Most of my repairs have been standard issues, including rear shocks, brakes, muffler Be sure that the car you buy has had the recommended services performed in accord with the owner's manual. These can be pricey but are well worth the insurance. Buying parts online can also save a little if your mechanic doesn't object.

Reply to
roscoeboy

What other cars have you owned? Compared to Toyota and Honda, the GM Saabs are very expensive to maintain. Compared to BMW and Mercedes, Saabs might even seem reasonable :-)

The

I suspect you enjoy driving your Saabs to have replaced your listed items before 150,000 miles. I drove my first C900 hard, getting 200,000 miles on the rear shocks, rear rotors, and original muffler. The front rotors were replaced at 100,000 miles. The tires only lasted 20,000 miles, as I thoroughly enjoyed my Saab, especially in the turns.

Be sure that the car

Reply to
ma_twain

Thanks. Any idea what kind of actual fuel economy I would get for the

2000 SE? What does SID stand for?
Reply to
Should I

Depends how you drive. Kick it a lot and mileage will suffer. That said, probably 24 on the low end, 32 on the high. Low in cold weather and the city, higher in warm on the highway.

SID - System Information Display. It's the little panel in the center of the console at the top that displays the radio/CD info and computer (ambient temp, distance to empty, etc).

Reply to
Bob

If you go to the Saab dealer for everything, you'll find expensive maintenance costs. Probably less than a dealer-serviced Mazda though.

The cars are built solid and generally quite reliable. Make sure the engine gets frequent oil changes preferably with synthetic oil. IIRC Saab wants an oil change every 15-16 000km. This is too long. Change the oil at 7 500 km, 10 000 km gros max. This will give the engine a very long life, particularly re: sludging, with the possible exception of the turbocharger. Some ~2000-2001 LPT Saabs had a "bad batch" of Garett turbos. Frequent oil changes help.

If you do the work yourself, you'll find that parts prices at the right places is surprisingly cheap in most instances. The cars are easy and simple to work with compared to most cars. And they have an excellent driving position and feel for the road.

Reply to
SmaartAasSaabr