2001 saab 9-3 coolant fluid

During a cold spell here (-24 celcius) my coolant level has dropped and SID is telling me to fill it up. In the manual there are no specifications on what fluid to use. It says saab approved fluid, but surely if something can be found with the same properties, wouldnt this do? What are the specs of the fluid?

thanks, keith

Reply to
keith

I behooves you to get a (gallon) bottle of SAAB coolant and keep some around for just such an occasion. It is the same as VW coolant and BMW coolant (they are all blue).

Do not mix different types of coolants in the system. In other words, don't use the green, red, yellow or orange coolants with the SAAB blue.

When you get your gallon of coolant you will want to cut it 50/50 with water. Ideally you would use demineralized water such as distilled water (usually available at the grocery), but since you will only be using small amounts, clean tap water will do.

Reply to
Fred W

That's funny, 9-3s in the UK have orange coolant.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Went to the dealer to get a bottle. As I was not sure what fluid was in the system they checked the service history, last autunm they changed the fluid according to service program. They put the green stuff in. So here in Finland it is green!

thanks, keith

Reply to
keith

There is no green SAAB coolant. Your dealership is cutting corners and not for the better.

Reply to
Fred W

Ummm... I'm not from Finland or anywhere in Europe - but no matter where you are, you want a low phosphate, low mineral, non-dex-coolish coolant.

Reply to
Bob

Your correct, the bottle label said "Opel" coolant fluid (I hated pooring liquid Opel into my saab). The Guy in the dealership said that GM are doing away with badges on spare parts(At least coolant fluid). He said that soon all there will be on any part is the GM stamp.

I have done some looking around and the green stuff is the cheapest coolant fluid as far as I understand because of the short life span ie. needs to be changed regulary. I dont have my service program handy but wonder how often the coolant fluid is scheduled for change? Is the service program designd with the red stuff (long life?) or the green stuff in mind?

thanks, keith

Reply to
keith

It's not just that... it is also the wrong formulation for that engine. It will be high in phosphates and silicates and cause deposits to form inside the cooling system even if changed on schedule.

Red or blue, 3 years. Green, doesn't matter, you're screwed either way.

Reply to
Fred W

The silicates are not a deposit issue as far as I know, but they will cause water pump wear (silicates are an anti corrosion additive but cause wear ie. silicate = sand).

Real Saab coolant is not that expensive from a dealer... at least in the USA. I'd suggest looking for another dealer. Lacking that, you can use mercedes coolant. Nissan coolant is good too. Zerex/Valvoline makes an equivalent (gold color).

Oh... and ask that dealership show you where it says it's OK to use a non-recommended coolant in your Saab. Then ask them to change it for free.

Reply to
Bob

On my UK one, the schedule says to change it at 3 year intervals, though it says to check the freezing point at every service.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Just sent Saab Finland an email asking if what the dealer put in the system is approved by saab. I have only had to lift the bonnet to add windscreen washer fluid. This is the first time I have had to add some other liquid. For all I know it may have been the green stuff since day one.

keith

Reply to
keith

Colors are not exactly the best indicator of coolant type. If you are talking a dex-cool type carbooxylate when you say "red" then the answer would be "don't use it". Likewise if you mean "high silicate" when you say green "don't use it".

Reply to
Bob

It wasn't me who wrote that. You've got your quotes mixed up.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp