2001 Sabb Aero 9-5 stalls - dealer stumped, turbo question too

I have a 2001 turbo - with a sport ?S? button - for a long time the turbo meter did not operate unless the ?S? button was pressed and active on the dash - now the turbo meter is always active (upon acceleration the needle moves across the meter when the sport button is not pressed). I brought the car in to a dealer who says (a) the turbo meter is always on even when the sport button is not pressed (not the case in the past) and (b) "the computer shows nothing, try to see when it stalls so I can figure it out"

- seems like it stalls on turns and deceleration. Is the turbo always on in a car like mine with a sport button? Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be?

Reply to
HAC55555

My car has a sport button, and the turbo gauge -and certainly the turbo itself- operate irrespective of that.

...pablo

Reply to
pablo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Is this an Auto transmission?

If so the S button will put the trans into Sport mode, which means it hold each change till higher revs, uses more fuel, but lets the car accelerate harder for longer without using kickdown, and keep it on boost for longer between shifts when pushing it.

It may have been that you weren't using full acceleration previously and never noticed the gauge moving, but are driving it differently now. The turbo works regardless of transmission mode, and the gauge shows how hard the turbo is working.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

And I thought I was the only one! 2002 9-5 Arc, V-6 turbo, auto tranny. There is a specific stretch of road where the car will die. It always does so in the same place, but at seemingly random times. Luckily this is a 35mph road. I shudder at the thought of this happening on the interstate at 75mph.

Needless to say, the dealer (still under warrantee) can't figure it out. After the 5th time it happened they took it, attached a continuous recorder to the engine computer, had a staffer take it home overnight to see if they could replicate the stall. Nope. They got a continuous recording of >24hrs use, but since it didn't stall they didn't have a clue.

The place of doom is at the top of a very slight rise, before a traffic light. Usually I (or my wife) will let off the accelerator about 2/3 of the way up the hill ... and as I crest the hill the engine dies and the electric system acts kinda weird. However, it starts right up if I through it into neutral and hit the key.

Oh well, Saabs are supposed to be quirky, aren't they?

Reply to
jon fabian

Not sure if this is the problem, but I bought a used 9-5 SE for my daughter and it went out after about 3 hours, nothing, dash went crazy (from my daughter and wife) and they were able to start it and limp it to a hotel and have it towed.

They claimed it was a loose grounding wire that conected to the throttle body (the throttle body had been replaced and missed the real problem).

My daughter was gun-shy of the car and decided to return the vehicle. It was a nice car though....

Reply to
ort11