2004 9-5 Aero Headlight Dimmer Switch Inop

My headlight dimmer switch stopped working. If I pull on the switch to go to high beams, the lights will go high until I let go of the switch. It does not hold them on high beam. How pricey of a repair am I looking at? Does the steering when have to come off or is it a repair I can do myself? I just bought it a couple months ago. Mfr warranty ran out because of mileage, I don't think the after market warranty I bought will cover it.

Thanks,

--Jim

Reply to
Spike9458

Sounds like your headlights are in Daytime Running Light mode. Try switching the headlight switch to the "on" position.

Reply to
Fred W

I have not tried the different positions, just after dark when they come on automatically. I will try the other positions and see if that works.

Thanks,

--Jim

Reply to
Spike9458

Well, you are right. when I turn the switch to the right so the headlights are on during daytime, the highbeams work just fine. But when the switch all the way to the left and the headlights come on automatically when it's dark, the dimmer switch does not work. It did when I first got the car, but suddenly just stopped. Could it be the red relay? Do you know how could I check it?

--Jim

Reply to
Spike9458

Sorry, no I don't. In some earlier models, with the switch fully CCW the lights were in DRL mode. But those cars didn't have auto-magic headlights, and so we had to twist the switch to the ful CW position for real headlights.

The nice thing about SAABs has been that, for a long time, when left in the full CW position the headlights douse when the car is turned off via the ignition key. I have gotten in the habit of just leaving them full CW and running headlamps on during the day.

Reply to
Fred W

Okay, thanks. I am new to the world of SAAB's and am learning as I go. Much to my chagrin, the Saab repair manual I thought I would pick up does not exist as near as I can tell. Chilton's and Haynes do not make one ... know of anyone that does????

Thanks, --Jim

Reply to
Spike9458

You might want to check Euro sources for the manuals. For example, Haynes produces manuals for the NG900 in Europe but they are not formally imported to the USA (but you can still order them from some suppliers).

Amazon might be a place to start. Also check eeuroparts.com and do some web searching. I can send you a slew of links to Saab related parts sites but you'd have to filter through them on your own.

Reply to
still me