advice - 1993 chevy lumina sedan , headlight dimmer switch not working

Back in march I had some fluid leaking in the steering column and causing little bits of smoke. Dealer said oil from the switch block and a huge price to replace it. I got a local nechanic to replace the switch and all seemed ok.

Now I find the headlights will not dim and are stuck on high beam. This has not been a problem because I rarely drive after dark, and I was in the hospital and recovering at home from a heart operation.

Is it likely the mechanic did not connect the switch block correctly, or that the dimmer is just broken ?

Is this a major job to repair ? something I could do myself ?

I dont know if this car has a drivers side airbag.

thanks for any comments.

Reply to
marks542004

I don't remember if that year has SRS air bag or not. The addition of air bags is around that time. You should be able to tell by looking at it. As to the switch, yeah, its likely broken. Car plastic rarely lasts 20 years. Especially when it has to flex and is covered in grease. If you had to have a mech replace the ign switch, then you will not be able to replace the turn sig / hi-lo switch yourself. Rockauto: $45 - $95.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

OIL? Unless you applied oil there is nothing in the column that has oil in or on it. There is a silicone grease used but unless the car got heated to over 600 degrees it doesn't turn liquid.

There also shouldn't be anything in the column hot enough to cause smoke! If there was then likely you have fried either the wiring or the switches or both.

As to replacement, the switch itself isn't that bad. It is attached to the steering column down below the dash. Basically you remove the two screws, then the actuator rod comes free, then you pull the connectors from the harness. Reverse the process to install. Book time is just over

30 minute to 50 minutes for real bad ones. the average DIYer can do it in an hour or so.
Reply to
Steve W.

little bits of smoke. Dealer said oil from the switch block and a huge pri ce to replace it.  I got a local nechanic to replace the switch and all s eemed ok.

as not been a problem because I rarely drive after dark, and I was in the h ospital and recovering at home from a heart operation.

that the dimmer is just broken ?

when you hit the dimmer switch to the headlights do anything????

If all else fails aim the headlights down more so you don't blind anyone. :)

Reply to
m6onz5a

Isn't the headlight dimmer switch part of the turn signal switch, not the ignition switch????

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Not on that year, The stalk is just a lever the actual dimmer switch is down on the left side of the column behind the dash bracket.

Reply to
Steve W.

Whoever replaced the multifunction switch probably forgot to reconnect the dimmer rod to both switches.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

Possible, or the new MF plunger arm is different enough that there isn't enough travel on the plunger. That is easy to adjust.

Reply to
Steve W.