Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement

1992 9000S 168,000miles About two years ago or about 30k miles, suddenly I had a clutch pedal on the floor and could not shift.

According to that service man it was the slave cylinder and it cost dearly as I was out of town on vacation and had to return to see clients.

This summe,r late August, I had a similar problem, although the clutch returned to normal several times when I pulled it up from the floor by hand.

Again the cluthch slave cylinder.

Another very large bill to remove and re-assemle and reinstall the clutch with all the new parts which the mechanic swore were always, always changed when you dis- and re-assemble a clutch.

Last week a similar occurance. Although I have been able to top-up the resevoir (it was below the divider) and by pumping the clutch pedal by hand' restore its normal function. I assume that this technique is only good so long. The fluid must be leaking and since I am not bleeding it, one assumes that air is accumulating. Sooner or later, I fear, it would be airlocked.

I returned it to the same mechanic . He toldme that it was the slave cylinder again and that there is no waranty at all.The slave cylinder was Saab but that the will do nothing and he will do nothing.

I know that he did not replace the hydraulic tubing between the master and the slave. Should he have. After all this is a 1992 and the tube is probably the origianal. Could tube deterioration have contributed to the two to three month demise of the slave?

Should I expect some adjustment or consideration from Saab or the mechanic?

I have a pretty good feeling about what my sucess would be in small claims court. I should be able to expect more than two to three months for all that expense.

All thoughts, facts, opinions etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Besides, Sven is such a gentile older car. He deserves better.

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm

Depends what you mean -

"Is it specified in the slave cylinder replacement procedure?"

No.

"Is is a realy good idea to replace the hose and the master cylinder at the same time as the slave?"

Yes. It's also a good idea to replace the whole clutch, crank seal and pilot bearing at the same time, but how many people do that?

Reply to
Grunff

It's notable that the "clutch replacement kit" includes the clutch disk, throw-out bearing, and pressure plate, but not the pilot bearing, crank seal, and hydraulic tubing. These things are so easy to do at the time that it's wise to at least inspect them, and it's little to no extra work to do them at the time. So, I'd have to agree with Grunff's statement on this - yes, it would have been a really good time to do them, but if it wasn't done, I can understand not doing the hydraulic piping. Hopefully they would have inspected it & seen a potential problem, but maybe it looked just fine.

On my '88 900T, when I did the clutch at around 220,000 miles, I looked at the hydraulic piping (metal/hose combination unit), it looked fine, and I left it in with no problems - but I only kept the car for another

30,000 miles or so. It's a judgement call.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Based on my knowledge, a damaged slave causeing the pedal going to the floor must also cause a massive loss of fluid.

The master seal can however produce symptoms like this if you have a small crack in it, like I experienced on my 93 9000.

The cost of a repair kit is negligable, and the bleeding procedure is the major difficulty. I would look in that direction.

Reply to
frode