88 900 turbo problem with flooding

My '88 900 turbo w/149,000 miles sometimes hesitates when accelerator is pressed. If this kills the engine, it floods it and won't start unless I slowly press the accelerator to the floor. My daughter, who drives this car, isn't experienced with cars and has trouble with this and has been stranded three times. Saab mechanics have looked at it twice and can find nothing wrong with it. Any thoughts? Thanks! Doug

Reply to
Doug Auwarter

Given the age it may be that the air-mass sensor/throttle body needs to be replaced or at least cleaned up - but I'd check for worn injectors too. It may be that they are gummed up and not providing enough fuel to the engine on snappy accleration (stall) - then releasing pressurized fuel from the rail (lines as late as 88?) into the engine after stall (flood). How has fuel economy been generally?

It could also be one of a hundred other things related to vacuum, electrical or cold start system - but I'd eliminate above first and move on from there. Best of luck.

Reply to
Dexter J

Have you checked the lift pump output? I've had several fail (86 pre LPT 8 valve turbo) and b4 it fails altogether you repeatedly get the exact syptoms u describe (it isnt flooding its fuel starving); is the pump noisy when you

1st turn the ignition on? thats another giveaway.

AK

Reply to
andyk

The turbo has an injection engine. I doubt that you can flood it by using the accelerator like you can in a carbureted engine with an accelerator pump. I think your problem lies somewhere else, maybe the vacuum advance unit is leaking: if you disconnect the vacuum hose from the trottle housing, suck on the hose and release the vacuum, can you hear the vacum unit click? If you can suck or blow air right through it, it's leaking.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH