9-3 2002 Crank Position Sensor

I have a 2002 9-3 that I suspect the Crank Posisiton Sensor has gone. The starting is inconsistent...but it always does after a bit. Does the CPS seem like a possibility?

How does one go about changing the sensor? Is there any pictures or websites that describe this?

Thanks,

Reply to
mleeds

If the Crankshaft Position Sensor goes bad you would get a check engine light and code to show that. In other words, with no CEL code to indicate the CPS it would be a shot in the dark.

Reply to
Fred W

I'm not getting any engine code at all. I'm thinking a shot in the dark is worthwhile at this point. The symptoms seem to point towards the CPS & it was relatively inexpensive. I just can't find where it is located.

Reply to
mleeds

The symptoms you've told us about don't particularly point to the crank sensor. Are there more symptoms you haven't mentioned?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

There really hasn't been much for symtoms expect occasionally it won't start. Usually leaving it for 10 min & trying again it will start. The engine turns over with no problems. It's been going on for about two weeks. Just today the check engine light came on. There is

140,000 km on the vehicle.
Reply to
mleeds

Have the code checked, work from there. If you are in the USA< Autozone will check the code for free.

Reply to
still me

There's a number of things that could cause that. Temperature sensors, MAF/MAP sensors, air leaks, clogged injectors, fuel pump problems, low compression etc. all spring to mind, but that's good news about the check engine light. Now the computer's finally noticed something's wrong, you should be able to get a bit of insight by taking it in and getting the code read.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Yes, now that you have a code to indicate the area of the problem you'll have a much smaller haystack to look for that needle in...

Reply to
Fred W

I changed the Crank Position Sensor on May 1st the car has started everytime since. It also startes better now. The engine light didn't stay on and I didn't bother to get the code checked. My brother is a mechanic and said generally it is the CPS when the vehicle only occasionally starts & no code is left. This is because the computer needs this information to start the vechicle, but if the engine doesn't run, the computer doesn't run, therefore no code can be stored. I figured for the price of a new CPS it was pretty cheap to try, rather than paying shop rates. To answer my original post the CPS is on the front of the engine (in realtion to the car), near the middle right (looking under the hood). It is hidden by a steel plate & put on with a torx bolt.

Reply to
mleeds

Huh? The computer runs whenever it has power. I'm 100% positive a code will be thrown for a crank position sensor failure in a no start condition. But it may fail in different ways

Thanks. Good to know.

Reply to
Fred W