9-3 falling gas mileage

Any idea why my gas mileage has been dropping (LPT 9-3 5-speed, model year 2001)? It started from low 20s in town and now it is down to 17.2. I do drive short distances (~2 mi) but this has been the same while the gas mileage has been falling. It is winter here but I still think 17.2 is too low.

The car has low miles and seems to be running fine.

Reply to
dyz36

Try the usual that affects mileage. Air filter, spark plugs, sticking brakes, vacum pipes. Hence look for running symptoms and unusual noises. 2 mi is a ridiculous short distance for starting a car, gas mileage will be low.

Reply to
Johannes

Furthermore with a 2mi journey you're asking for the sludge problem.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

FWIW, I have 97-900, 185 stock HP FPT. Typical mileage is 25-28 in

50/50 mixed driving. However, I have seen numbers as low as 14mpg until warm when the temps get down to 20 deg F or lower. If you drive 2 mil each way then your numbers are not unreasonable.
Reply to
Bob