9-5 heater fan problems?

The heater fan on my '99 9-5 SE (2.3l LPT) has gone intermittant - as in, usually doesn't run. When it runs it runs full speed, when it doesn't, I get a VERY low trickle of air from the vents I select.

I can use the ACC to change from floor to dash to windshield, and I can hear the servos clicking and the little bit of air does go where I tell it. My temperature gage is behaving normally and I have sufficient coolant. The air that comes out is warm, but there's very little of it.

The ACC does respond normally to me setting the fan to level 1-8 (or however many bars are on the graph for that) - but, the fan doesn't acutally speed up.

When it works, the fan starts out kind of growly-sounding. To me, I'm thinking the fan is going south but, what's the track record of this? Does this failure mode point more to the fan, or to the controller? All the fuses are OK, and I've swapped relays around with no change in behavior.

Thanks, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It could be either, I guess. The controller failed on mine a while back, with different symptoms. The fan went to full speed constantly, even with the ignition key out. Yours would still be a plausible controller failure though.

It's worth checking the current through the fan fuse as you adjust the speed. If the current is sensible, or on the high side, then my money would be on the fan. Otherwise it would be the wiring, or the controller.

You could also check the control voltage from the ACC unit. It goes in on pin 8 of the speed controller connector. It's 0V for off, rising to

5V for max speed - assuming the 9-5 is the same as the 9-3.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I've never had a problem with the ACC fan on any of my SAABs, so I can't really help you there. But I'd agree with your accessment from the description.

Good to see you're still around and kick'n, Dave.

Reply to
Fred W

Thanks, Colin's description of which fuses to look at were very helpful. Pretty much confirm it's the fan which I don't want to do. So it's at the shop...no idea how big a job the blower fan is on the 9-5, but been busier than hell so not gonna take it on.

Thanks. Work is going great but very busy. Back at GE Healthcare, actually, now leading the team I was part of years ago. Good times.

Reply to
Dave Hinz