2004 Silverado Heater/AC Fan

The fan is acting up - doesn't run at all until I turn it up to 4. What might cause this problem?

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

in most cases your problem is in the resistor pack. To control the fan speed you sent the current through the resistors and will drop the fan speed. One or more of the resistors is burned out. yes this is overly simplified but it does explain your issue. or your switch is not working. check them both. maybe some one else could help you find the resistors.

Reply to
Thoran Walker

go to the dealer ask for a blower motor resistor/ $58 CAD and taxes. remove the 3 or 4 screws from the black panel below the dash. remove panel. The resistor is located below the glove compartment. R&R and you are done.

I just fixed mine, it was a bad connection at the plug that goes to the resistors. One wire in the plug was black from overheating.

Reply to
ScottM

What did you do to fix it? Is it easy to replace the wire?

--Steve

ScottM wrote:

Reply to
Steve

I left the old wire in place.

I removed the resistor pack and soldered a 10 gauge wire to the offending pin inside the pack, then installed the pack and soldered the other end of the wire to the stock wire about an inch before the plug. This just basicly bypassed the burnt pin. I would of taken it in (warranty) but I hate to wait hours for my truck for a "fix" that will likely go bad again.

Oh , and I did clean the pin on the pack and the receptical on the plug the best I could but probably didn't need to. I tryed to get the pin out of the plug but it was melted in there pretty good and I finally gave up.

If I ever need to replace the resistor pack I can simply unsolder the wire on the pack side and re-solder to the new one.

Reply to
ScottM

All well and good, but what caused it to over heat and melt? Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

My question is how long has the fix been working? Have you checked the wire when in operation for getting hot?

Its entirely possible that the connector itself just doesn't cut it. One example. In the 90s Harley had their own 3 pin headlight plug. Fit a standard headlight, but was their own hard plastic design. It was notorious for melting and causing problems. The Harley fix was to just sell you another of the same plug, and it would often melt again. My fix on two different bikes was to replace the plug with one of the generic off the shelf molded rubber ones from my local auto parts store. Problem solved permanently. Really. Passed this on to a couple of my riding buddies with similar problems. Problems solved again.

However, he has a point. At the very least you need to check and make sure that the problem is not going to melt something else.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well, most likely a bad connection. No blown fuses if thats where you were going (pulling to many amps) I didn't put my amp meter on it but I did run it for about 20 minutes and felt the wire. No heat.

Reply to
ScottM

Same problem with my '03.

Reply to