90, 900turbo wheel/hub problem

my 90 900t is acting like it has warped brake discs, however, I recently replaced them with new ones, and the problem is still there. when turning the wheel, at one point the disc will "scrub" against the left caliper, and turn it 180 degrees more, then it will scrub the right caliper.

the outside edges of my tires are starting to wear from this, but the alaignment seems fine. the scrubbing does get worse when veering or turning left though, and eases up when turning right.

what am i looking at here? bearings? CV? Transmition mounts? I really haven't a clue- just guessing.

thanks.

Reply to
Nick Passino

Really only two things - either the new disk is warped/fitted incorrectly (all it takes is a tiny amount of dirt on the mating surfaces), or the wheel bearing is not square in it's housing.

Not the CV, or anything else.

Easy to determine by removing the disk and using a dial gauge on the hub to check for runout.

Reply to
Grunff

Oh- i should clarify one thing- when the wheel is turned 180 degrees, that one wheel will scrub the left side of it's caliper, then 180 later, the right side of it's caliper... like the wheel wobles between it's caliper.

Make more sense?

Reply to
Nick Passino

No, makes a lot less sense. Is the wheel rubbing on the caliper, or the brake disk rubbing on the caliper? You said one then the other.

Reply to
Grunff

Wheel bearing sounds more like it. It comes and goes, but has slowly been going on more and more. and I cleaned everything down pretty well when putting the new discs on the front. I'd guess it's about 1-3 mm of shimmy between the pads, but that's certainly been enough to gimp up both of my front tires. Both are losing their outside edges from the sideways push-pull exerted on them (long drive to work each day).

So should I just replace the bearings, or is there a series of stuff i should go ahead and do while I'm in that area?

Grunff wrote:

Reply to
Nick Passino

Side to side movement?? That's *huge*.

Jack it up, grab the wheel, and shake it about. Does it move at all? If yes, then replace the bearing.

I'd be tempted to replace both CV boots while you're in there, since you're gonna remove the hub carrier anyway.

Reply to
Grunff