9000 speedometer probs

Hi all! I've just bought a 89' 9000 to brigde 3 month time waiting for my ordered car. I thought that this 9000 will do it, but I'm completely surprised what a fantastic car I got!! After fixing a couple of small damages everything works fine and the engine fires much better than my former Alfa Romeo!

Onöly one problem is left: during the first couple of kilometers the speedometer works, then it begins to falter and finaly stops completely.

Anybody any ideas? electrical problem? gearing? Magic? elks? (As far as I know the gearing was changed 2 years ago)

br Michael

Reply to
Michael Limpinsel

I have not heard of a speedometer failing in this way. Is it only the speedometer that fails, or do the odometer, trip meter, and cruise control also fail at the same time?

In the 9000 of you cars age the speedometer consists of the following parts:

  • A transducer mounted on the gearbox. The transducer is like a small generator producing a voltage with a frequency proportional to the speed of the car. The small gear inside the gearbox that drives the transducer can fail, but I think that this type of failure should be fatal, not working for some kilometers. The transducer can be unscrewed from the gearbox and tested by spinning the input shaft. The speedometer should react to this.
  • Wires between transducer and speedometer housing.
  • Circuit board inside speedometer housing containing an electronic circuit that drives the speedometer dial, and a small stepper motor. Also provides a signal for the DCC computer (if fitted) and cruise control (if fitted). I had one 9000 '88 with a failing speedometer caused by a bad solder connection on this circuit board.
  • A small stepper motor driving the odometer and trip meter.
Reply to
Goran Larsson

Hi Goran! Thanks for Your quick help. Beneath the speedometer the trip meter (day and total) are gone when the instrument finaly fails. the consumption (l/100km) is counting increasing values (60l/100 km already:-)))

I will first check the electric connections and perhaps try to unscrew the transducer from the gearbox for more tests.

br

michael

Reply to
Michael Limpinsel

The EDU thinks you are stationary and still use up fuel.

The transducer is on the upper side of the gearbox. It was over ten years ago since I had to look the this, but I think you can see the transducer by looking down between the engine/gearbox and the bulk head. You definitely can reach it from below. The transducer is mounted on the differential housing, at the rear of the transmission case, close to where the shifting linkage enters the gearbox. When you remove the transducer the wires will twist, pre-twist them before re-mounting the transducer.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Mine just didn't work one day. Turned back home, pulled the speedo out check all conections inc transducer. Never missed a beat since. Weired?

Reply to
Adrian England